"An Uncommon Destination" Homer by RickinDutch
Homer Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 367 photos
Homer really is the end of the road, at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula, and about a 6 hour drive from Anchorage. The drive itself is worth the trip as you head south from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm on the Seward Highway, climb over Moose Pass, take a right on the Sterling Highway and pass through the towns of Cooper Landing, Kenai, Soldotna, Anchor Point, Ninilchik, Clam Gulch and finally crest the ridge and look out over Homer.
Homer is nestled against the Kenai range and on the shores of Kachemak Bay - a huge bay that you can't see the end of from town.
The town itself is hard to pin down as it stretches for miles along the ridge parralleling the bay. Businesses are intermixed with private homes thoughout town. Downtown is roughly whithin the triangle formed by the Kenai Highway, Pioneer Ave and Main Street.
The main focus of Homer is the spit, a naturally formed 4.5 mile long gravel strip that extends out into the Kachemak Bay. All along are shops, fishing charter shacks, the harbor, a lagoon chock full of king salmon and at the very tip, Land's End Resort. The famous Salty Dawg Saloon is nearby as is the ferry terminal. Along the right side as you head the spit are rustic camping spots filled equally with summer workers and visitors. Camp here from more than a week and you earn the coverted title "Spit Rat".
Frommer's Budget Travel just named Homer one of the top ten small towns in American in their April, 2006, edition which nudged me to get to work on my Homer page. We drove down here often when we lived in Anchorage, partly because of the great drive, and partly for the charm of Homer itself. The residents of town seem to be made up of equal parts artisans, red necks, fishermen, and writers - which can make their city council meetings long and painful. Lots of diverse viewpoints trying to create their sense of paradise.
One thing that always attracted us to Homer was that just about every home has a view of Kachemak Bay and the mountains beyond. We have several friends living in Homer and they each have a view to die for. You just want to settle down on their decks and contemplate something deep.
Sorry, but you can't claim to have been to Homer unless you spend a few hours at the Salty Dawg. I've put it in the... more travel advice
Since Homer is the self declared "Fishing Capital" of Alaska there are no shortage of boats to charter. Just stroll... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Homer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homer -- suffering from a "Spit" Personality"
- "Halibut Capital of the World"
- "Hangin with the locals in Homer"
- "Homer - The Famous Spit of Alaska"
- "Homer Alaska"
- "Jumping Around Homer!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Homer
- Hotels in Homer
- Transportation in Homer
- Nightlife in Homer
- Restaurants in Homer
- Shopping in Homer
- Warnings and Dangers in Homer
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Homer
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Homer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homer
Photos in HomerSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (36)
Latest Homer hotel reviews
- Beluga Lake Lodge Homer
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Lands End Resort
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Homer Spit Campgrounds
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2012
- Best Western Bidarka Inn
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 8, 2012