"A Laid Back Town with lots to See" Top 5 Page for this destination Haines by RickinDutch

Haines Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 199 photos

A Quiet Respite from the Cruise Ship Stops

We spent three days in Haines and welcomed the quiteness of this place after the hectic cruise ship ports of Juneau and Skagway. Took the high speed state ferry "Fairweather" from Juneau. Just an hour and a half trip up the Lynn Canal through some of the most beautiful country in Alaska.

Hotel Halsingland was a nice old taste of the past set in a quiet part of town looking down on Lynn canal and the mountains beyond.

First stop was at the visitor's information center in the middle of town. Well stocked with brochures and very helpful staff.

Spent some time walking around the town. Bamboo Room served great breakfasts. Museum was decent. Their community park has one of the best kid's play areas I have ever seen. Our grandson was beside himself with all the options.
Also took the jet boat ride up the Chilkat into the eagle reserve. Saw moose and bald eagles.

Didn't have time for the Hammer Museum which I have heard from many people is worth a visit.

• Pros:Lots to see, friendly people, not overrun with the huge cruise ships.
  • Last visit to Haines: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2005

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Nice pages. Only thing we did up there was have a Salmon Dinner and watched the Tlingit Show.

• May 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM

We enjoyed a beer there the night we arrived in Haines and the next day before we got on the ferry back to the lower 48 we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM

OH HOW I LIKE DAY TRIPS & THEN VISIT SOME NICE DESTINATIONS

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Beautiful pictures and very, very useful information. Well, I am going to visit Haines now. Thanks a lot.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 7:22 AM

Stunning opening picture. Interesting information on Haines. I'd love to visit it one day.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 8:13 AM

We enjoyed the beauty of the Lynn Canal also. Enjoyed your restaurant reviews - we found the servings as big as the state itself! Thanks for visiting my Galway page in Ireland. Greetings from Augusta, GA! Marcia

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Great information and beautiful pictures! Have a great weekend, Rick!

• Jan 27, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Wow! Amazing view from the ferry, Rick. Haines look absolutely divine! Thank you for sharing, and may you and yours have a great weekend!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 5:21 PM

Haines pages is very informative and a place to be visited !

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Nice page Rich I am sure that all of Alaska is fantastic I bet the small places are very nice for a visit

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Haines