"A Laid Back Town with lots to See" Top 5 Page for this destination Haines by RickinDutch
Haines Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 208 photos
We spent three days in Haines and welcomed the quiteness of this place after the hectic cruise ship ports of Juneau and Skagway. Took the high speed state ferry "Fairweather" from Juneau. Just an hour and a half trip up the Lynn Canal through some of the most beautiful country in Alaska.
Hotel Halsingland was a nice old taste of the past set in a quiet part of town looking down on Lynn canal and the mountains beyond.
First stop was at the visitor's information center in the middle of town. Well stocked with brochures and very helpful staff.
Spent some time walking around the town. Bamboo Room served great breakfasts. Museum was decent. Their community park has one of the best kid's play areas I have ever seen. Our grandson was beside himself with all the options.
Also took the jet boat ride up the Chilkat into the eagle reserve. Saw moose and bald eagles.
Didn't have time for the Hammer Museum which I have heard from many people is worth a visit.
- Pros:Lots to see, friendly people, not overrun with the huge cruise ships.
Just south of town, within easy walking distance is a very nice campground. Located on a spit of land jutting into Lynn... more travel advice
Spent 4 hours riding through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve with River Adventures. A bus picks you up at the Fast Ferry... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Haines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haines, Alaska"
- "The Independent Traveler's Guide to Haines"
- "A Laid Back Town with lots to See"
- "A fantastic drive on Haines Road"
- "Haines, Alaska"
- "Haines, Alaska."
- "Haines, AK: A lovely town!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haines
- Hotels in Haines
- Transportation in Haines
- Nightlife in Haines
- Restaurants in Haines
- Shopping in Haines
- Warnings and Dangers in Haines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haines
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Haines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haines
- updated a Haines Travel Page "A Laid Back Town with lots to See"
- Posted in Travel Ketchikan Forum "Re: Ketchikan Rainforest..."
- Commented on one of Laura_Mexico's Haines travel pages
- Wrote a Review Best Dinner House in Haines in Haines Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Private fast ferry between Haines and Skagway"
Photos in HainesSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos