Dutch Harbor Packing List Tips by RickinDutch Top 5 Page for this destination
Dutch Harbor What to Pack: 2 reviews and 1 photos
Luggage and bags: Pack spare clothing in a carry on if you are flying in. PenAir sometimes bumps bags due to weight restrictions, although they have gotten a lot better lately.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A great place to test your rain gear! We don't consider it rain unless it hurts. Layer up and be ready for anything - all in the same day.
About half the roads are paved - so expect muddy conditions, especially between the city dock and the airport. We never get too hot or too cold (at least for Alaska). Expect 50-65 F in summer and 30-50F in winter.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Very few bugs unless you go off into the marsh and wet low lying grassy areas. Something to do with the wind and the low average temp.
Photo Equipment: Camera is a must. Zoom lens for wildlife closeups.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Not a lot of camping areas. Check with O.C. if you must camp and they will sell you a land use permit. Be sure your gear is sturdy and tent is low profile for those windy days. For sleeping bags it rarely gets below 20 in winter and 45 in summer.
Miscellaneous: Fishing gear
More Reviews (43)
- See All World War II reminders
- See All Whale watching from shore
- See All Hot Spot for the Young At Heart
- See All Fine dining in the Aleutians
- See All What's in a name?
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- "An Interesting Diversion"
- "Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive""
- "Across the Bering Sea"
- "My Walkabout in Alaska"
- "This is the start of a Bering Sea/Dutch Harbor pag"
- "Mike_Hess's new Dutch Harbor Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dutch Harbor
- Hotels in Dutch Harbor
- Transportation in Dutch Harbor
- Nightlife in Dutch Harbor
- Restaurants in Dutch Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Dutch Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dutch Harbor
- 44 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 112 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Dutch Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dutch Harbor
- Posted in Travel Seward Forum "Re: exit glacir for free"
- Wrote a Review World War II reminders in Dutch Harbor Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of HasTowelWillTravel's Dutch Harbor travel pages
- updated a Dutch Harbor Travel Page "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Latte & a Biscotti?"
Photos in Dutch HarborSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos