Dutch Harbor Transportation Tips by RickinDutch Top 5 Page for this destination
Dutch Harbor Transportation: 9 reviews and 12 photos
M/V Tustemena @ Dutch Harbor
The Alaska Marine Highway system has gone back to once a month service to Unalaska/Dutch Harbor from Homer. Sure wish they would quit playing with their schedule. If they would leave it alone they could build a reliable passenger base.
Taking the run to Dutch on the "Trusty Tusty" is one of the last of the great adventures in Alaska.
Once a month, from April thru October, the ferry, M/V Tustemena, calls on Unalaska / Dutch Harbor. Starting at the end of the road in Homer it is a 3 1/2 day run to Dutch Harbor with many stops at the villages all along the way. The Tustemena arrives Dutch Harbor on Saturday mornings at 0800 and departs a little later this year at 1430. So even if you stay on round trip you can have a short visit here. Or better yet - you can ferry one way and fly back.
I have made the trip out twice now and just love the mix of passengers - some locals and some tourists - all sharing the same adventure. It is the best way I know of seeing the beautiful country between Homer and Unalaska/Dutch Harbor.
One tip - book early. Ticket for the following year go on sale around October. With only 21 cabins onboard they fill up fast. The ship holds 200 people and most sleep up in the solarium in tents or just sleeping bags. I find the cabins tiny and spartan, but it nice to have a bit of privacy and your own WC.
Phone: 1 800 382-9229
PenAir on the ground at Unalaska / Dutch Harbor
Only one airline servicing Unalaska / Dutch Harbor these days - Alaska Air. Actual route is flown with PenAir aircraft - but reservations made thru Alaska Air. PenAir is using a Saab 340B turbo-prop that carries 30 people. Flight from Anchorage takes from 2.5 to 3.5 hours, depending on headwinds and whether they need to stop for fuel on the way.
Fare came down just recently (6/15/05), to around $450 one way.
Flight frequency varies with the fishing seasons from 3 to 6 flights daily.
And remember the airline calls this place Dutch Harbor (DUT). Ask for a flight to Unalaska and they'll say they don't go there!!
A word of warning - they will bump baggage if they are full and the headwinds are excessive. So pack accordingly. A good way to make sure you have what you need when you get here is to take as a carry on and give to the ramp agent plane side. They will tag and load on top of the baggage. Just be sure to wait by the aircraft when you get here to retrieve it. Another tip - they only feed you peanuts and cookies - eat before you fly!
Phone: 1 800 Alaskaair
Spirit of Oceanus
We get about 10 cruise ships a year. Larger ships that are transiting to and from Asia and six port calls from small eco cruise ships like the Spirit of Oceanus shown in this photo. They only stay in Unalaska for 5-6 hours but it's better than never coming :)
This year (2005) the two adventure cruise vessels calling here are: The Spirit of Oceanus - 4 port calls - run by Cruise West and Clipper Odyssey - 2 port calls - run by Clipper Cruises / Intrav.
The larger ships are Crystal Harmony - 750 passengers, and Seven Seas Mariner, also with around 700 passengers.
None of the major national car rental companies do business in Dutch Harbor / Unalaska.
There are two local companies that offer cars/trucks/suvs for rent here.
BC Vehicles @ 907 581-1589
North Port Rentals @ 907 581-3880
Run between $60 & $100 a day.
Insider tip: If you coming in the winter (Nov-March) get something with 4WD.
Other Contact: North Port (907) 581-3880
Phone: BC Vehicles (907) 581-1589
Type: Car/Motor Home
If you only have an hour or two in town, a low cost way to see the sights is to rent a taxi by the hour. They all have meters but that can really add up. Bargain with them and you could get a cab for $60/hour. Split that among 6-10 folks since most cabs are 12 passenger vans.
It used to be you could go anywhere on the island for $5 each, but that went away a few years back and all cabs must have meters.
There are at least 10 cab companies in town.
Other Contact: VHF 80
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (39)
- See All World War II reminders
- See All Whale watching from shore
- See All Hot Spot for the Young At Heart
- See All Fine dining in the Aleutians
- See All What's in a name?
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- "An Interesting Diversion"
- "Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive""
- "Across the Bering Sea"
- "My Walkabout in Alaska"
- "This is the start of a Bering Sea/Dutch Harbor pag"
- "Mike_Hess's new Dutch Harbor Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dutch Harbor
- Hotels in Dutch Harbor
- Transportation in Dutch Harbor
- Nightlife in Dutch Harbor
- Restaurants in Dutch Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Dutch Harbor
- See All...
Explore the World
- La Fortuna Hotels
- Stimanga Hotels
- Parc Régional Normandie-Maine Hotels
- Küchelscheid Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dutch Harbor
- 44 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 117 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Dutch Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dutch Harbor
- Posted in Travel Nome Forum "Re: how did the trucks etc get to..."
- Wrote a Review World War II reminders in Dutch Harbor Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of HasTowelWillTravel's Dutch Harbor travel pages
- updated a Dutch Harbor Travel Page "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Latte & a Biscotti?"
Photos in Dutch HarborSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (36)
Latest Dutch Harbor hotel reviews
- Grand Aleutian Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013