"Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here" Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage by RickinDutch
Anchorage Travel Guide: 835 reviews and 1,559 photos
We lived in Anchorage for many years before decided to move to the Aleutians and experience life in rural Alaska. Now it is the jumping off point for any trip from home and the location of many of our business trips, get away weekends and big ticket item shopping trips.
Anchorage is by far the largest city in Alaska. More folks live here (320,000) than in the rest of Alaska combined. It is here that we rural residents must come for any serious medical treatment, shopping that can't be done online, and for an occassional break away weekend. We joke about Anchorage being the closest city to Alaska but still we go and spend our hard earned bucks in the big city whenever the opportunity arises. Costco, Walmart, Fred Meyers, etc., all have bush order desks that will ship our recently purchased treasures home.
Anchorage has come a long way over the years in beautifying herself. Lots of flower beds and hanging baskets in the summer and lots of lights in the winter. The Hotel Captain Cook, located right down town, is our favorite place to stay. Without a doubt, the nicest hotel in Anchorage .
The changes that Anchorage has undergone since I first moved here in 1979 are tremendous. I arrived as the TransAlaska Pipeline project was coming to an end. The project had been a boon to the city and the state but the long term impact was an influx of workers from all over that came for the big bucks and stayed for the quality of life Alaska provides. Oil remains the biggest business in Alaska and Anchorage is the headquarters for those industries. The other big economic force for Anchorage is the military with two major bases adjacent, Ft Richardson (Army) and Elmendorf (Air Force). Third is it's roles as the hub for transportation in Alaska for airlines, air cargo, container ships, the railroad and highway traffic.
All of this has led to rapid growth over the 30 years I've known Anchorage. It has gone from a rough and tumble frontier town to an urban center with all that entails. For visitor and resident alike it has meant an increase in ammenities such as hotels, restaurants, night clubs, coastal trails, shopping malls, etc.
The Anchorage Visitor's Bureau mans (womans?) the Log Cabin, downtown on 5th, year round with knowledgeable people and loads of brochures. This is a natural starting point to your tour of Anchorage. Walking and bus tours usually start here.
- In a nutshell:Closest city to Alaska!
Decent pub grub in downtown Anchorage. Went with a group for a business meal. I had the fish tacos which were excellent.... more travel advice
Snow City has been voted best breakfast since 2008 - and it's is a richly deserved title. Nothing fancy in the setting,... more travel advice
- See All Wine Bar in the Captain Cook Hotel
- See All Alaska Railroad
- See All Very Nice Value
- What to do with a 4-8 hour lay over in...
- See All The Coastal Trail
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Anchorage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
- "Alaskan Fun Starts Here"
- "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- "My 2 Alaskas"
- "Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska"
- "frankcanfly's Anchorage Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anchorage
- Hotels in Anchorage
- Transportation in Anchorage
- Nightlife in Anchorage
- Restaurants in Anchorage
- Shopping in Anchorage
- Warnings and Dangers in Anchorage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anchorage
- 59 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Anchorage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchorage
- Posted in Travel Seward Forum "Re: exit glacir for free"
- Commented on one of alirocks21's Anchorage travel pages
- Wrote a Review Decent pub grub - excellent home brewed beer about Snow Goose in Anchorage Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Largest Hotel in Anchorage"
- updated a Anchorage Travel Page "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos