"My Uncle's Resting Place" Gora by RickinDutch

Gora Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos

A Reunion of Sorts

It was at a small cemetary just outside Gora, south of Warsaw, on the bank of the Wisla (Vistula) River. My dad had searched for his older brother since they were seperated at a concentration camp in Siberia in 1939. A distant relative in Poland, who happened to be a retired historian, had searched the records for years looking for Uncle Joseph. Finally found him in a grave with his last name slightly altered (Kniaziowskiego instead of Kniaziowski).

He had been drafted into the Soviet Army and lasted through many battles, only to die fighting the Nazis during their retreat across Poland. It was a sad day but I sensed a slackening of the tension dad had carried for years. A chapter could finally be closed.

Our Journey Continued to Szczebrzeszyn

In our uncle's tiny Fiat we continued on to Szczebrzeszyn, my dad's home town. Quite a car - I'm not that big of a guy but my knees seemed up around my ears as I drove down the highway. Spent a week in and around the area, there and in Zamosc and Lublin, visiting cousins and reliving my dad's childhood memories. The highlight was being in a farmhouse full of Kniaziowskis and seeing my dad tell a joke (in Polish) and everyone laughing. His timing was back now that he could use his native tongue!

• Last visit to Gora: Dec 1990
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2006

• Babcia's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Interesting page. I actually started looking at your travelogues because of my interest in Alaska, and found Poland!! "Kniaziowskiego" actually means "of" or "belonging to" Kniaziowski. Cheers from western Canada!! ~Alicja~

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Gora