"The Big City Hustle & Bustle" Hong Kong by RickinDutch

Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,370 reviews and 20,332 photos

Favorite Big City

Hong Kong was always my favorite big city, and yet it seems more like a love/hate thing the older I get. Went there often in the 70's and 80's and used it as a hub for travel around Asia. Since it has changed dramatically since my visits, I don't have many tips that are current. My favorite hotel was the Furama which I have since learned was torn down and replaced.

I loved walking around Kowloon and the island of Hong Kong itself. The peak is a must see. I liked Stanley village for a quiet get away. And Lantau island with it's monastary and giant Buddha. But I haven't been since the airport was moved to Lantau so who knows what that is like these days.

Even the mundane is extraordinary in Hong Kong

I still remember my first Star Ferry ride and how everyone onboard was treating it like a normal commute. I have since been across between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon many times and never tire of the journey.

Working for Flying Tigers, I loved being in the cockpit as we made our final approach at the old airport. Flew straight toward a mountain then a sharp bank to the right and between high rise apartment buildings!

A Foodie's Delight

From fine dining to street vendors, Hong Kong is filled with great food. We loved wandering around until we found a place packed with locals and no tourists. Not always sure what we ate but mmmmmm!

• Last visit to Hong Kong: Aug 1989
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2006

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM

The closest I'll ever get to Hong Kong is the boy I dated for a short time in college, LOL! That is what happens when one retires too early in Wyoming. :-) Taking the tram to the peak looks just wonderful.

• roza.v.welzenes's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I love this Hong Kong pages...:)) greeting:roza.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 3:23 PM

such an exciting place nice page thank

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 9:38 AM

Great start on the updated page :) Have fun wandering down memory lane!

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2005 at 9:57 AM

Hi, thanks for your comment and birthday wishes! You must come to HK again, it's so different from before... and the Furama had been demolished and replaced by another building. Do come again!

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Hong Kong

Have you been to Hong Kong?

Latest Activity in Hong Kong