"Gateway to the west of Ireland" Shannon by RickinDutch

Shannon Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 177 photos

Home of Ireland's second largest airport

Shannon has been a busy airport for many years. A small town has grown up around the airport but most people that work at the airport live in Limerick - less than a half hour drive. If you're flying in to here, there is an airport hotel or you can continue on to Limerick. First few times we came in here we rested up at the Great Southern Hotel first and then went on our way. Halfway between the airport and Limerick is Bunratty Castle, a very interesting stop. Driving between Limerick and Galway you run right past the airport, so north to Galway is another option.

Shannon Airport has several claims to fame. It was here that Irish Coffee was first concocted. It was also here that the concept of duty free stores was first tried. But it is mainly just an airport - not much to see in the immediate vicinity.

Don't be fooled by the nice highway as you leave the airport. It is the nicest stretch of road in all of Ireland!

• Last visit to Shannon: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2006

• Sagespot's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed my Ireland pages - indeed, I think everyone should head back to the green island shores. It was so beautiful, I'll remember it forever. Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Sage

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Driving on the left side would kill me - I can't seem to handle the right side.... Hey, Rick, I did not know you had an Irish passport!!!

• kimod74's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 6:34 PM

Hey, me again. Enjoying your Ireland pages. My husband is from Ireland, his family still lives over there, we are going back Oct. 2006, can't wait!

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Shannon

Have you been to Shannon?