"A Slice of Authenticity" Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle by RickinDutch

Dingle Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 528 photos

Dingle Peninsula a Great Drive

Everyone talks about the Ring of Kerry and how wonderful it is. In my book, the drive around the Dingle Peninsula is far more scenic, far less crowded and just more real. The town of Dingle itself is a great taste of small town life with a real fishing fleet, good B&Bs, pubs, music and restaurants.

Now keep in mind, I've never been in the summer. I hear from my Irish cousins that it gets a wee bit crowded. OK, a lot more crowded - like bus loads coming on a daily basis.

Two ways into Dingle

There are two roads into Dingle - the stunningly scenic 30 miles over the Connor Pass from Tralee or the the slightly longer and less scenic (but easier) road R561 from Castlemaine.

The drive beyond Dingle

From Dingle town to the end of the peninsula at Slea Head - is a desolate but beautiful stretch of Ireland that has to be experienced to be believed. It is what you imagined Ireland to be before you got off the plane. Take your time and breath it all in!

• Last visit to Dingle: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2009

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM

This authentic village looks like a well hidden gem. Thank you for sharing.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Rick, fantastic little page about this famous area of Ireland. Especially the Kirray House B&B seems to be a good find for an overnight stay.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Love this page Rick, I have yet to make it to Dingle, the nearest I've been is Tralee. Thanks for giving us a good look at the local colour. I can taste the Guinness Stew.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Hi Rick, I just came across your interesting homepage because of your post in the misc! Nice pages on Ireland - the photos look so beautiful that I want to go there at once! I think it is amazing that the scenery is so great even in winter!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Memories here of an Irish honeymoon - we won't count the years - but January and no tourists - a beautiful spot.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM

They featured this on TV Smart travel today-and you got as good pics of the sites. My old friend where I grew up was named Dingle, and looked Irish. Thanks for the tour and tips

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 4:03 AM

What a fantastic landscapes!!! It call up my memories of Ireland.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 5:34 AM

It's nice to know from this enjoyable page (and spectacular photos) that "the real Ireland" is just out there waiting - beyond the tourist paths!

• Mahieu's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 9:36 AM

I agree with you: the Dingle Peninsula is far more beautiful than the Ring of Kerry! Greetz,

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 1:25 PM

I regret not visiting Dingle while being in Ireland. A good reason to come back. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Dingle