"My Mother's Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick by RickinDutch

Limerick Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 294 photos

Angela's Ashes

Limerick seems to be made up of two groups of people. The affluent, that feel Frank McCourt was a great fiction writer, and the not-so-affluent, that know McCourt as a great historian.

I have family from both sides of the divide, but my mother relates strongly to Angela's Ashes as a very real account of her youth. She moved to the US years long ago, but I enjoy returning and exploring my Irish half and especially spending time with the many cousins living in Limerick.

Limerick is starting to soften some of her rough edges as the economic boom that has hit Ireland shed some benefit her way. The EU money pumped into the University of Limerick has made it into one of the largest and best regarded colleges in the country. Lots of new hotels and restaurants popping up and the young seem to be having an easier time finding work without leaving Ireland.

Limerick's reputation of "stab city" had more to do with a family fued than a general danger to the public. Regardless, the town was not a tourist spot because of their reputation. With the growth of IT industries around Limerick and the University real change had taken place. Just take a look at real estate prices! So much for my retirement plan.

I'm getting emails from so many people that correct what I've written here - hotel demolished, bars changed, etc. - that I need to warn any reader that these pages are more a memory than facts to rely on.

• Last visit to Limerick: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2007

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM

just talking about ireland a few days ago as a destination - these are great images, so scenic by Dingle. the pubs look so well irish. great pages, enjoyed reading thru them.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Stunning page you have. I really enjoyed your photo's and reading the tips ;-)

• Sep 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM

Have to agree. Pricewise it was great and certainly didnt expect to find so much hotel for such a low price! The room was large, well fitted and clean, deserves a good reputation for the budget concious traveller!

• mail2ireland's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 12:02 AM

jury's hotel was demolished in 2006

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 9:16 PM

Limerick is changing very rapidly. I've been there 4 times, but never been to Finn's. Must remember the name for the next visit. :)

• aGaby's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 7:34 AM

Great page !

• Jul 24, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Great Page, Rick. The Manor House looks absolutely beautiful! You are lucky to visit Limerick as often as you do. Regards!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 9:01 PM

Great page Rick Brought nice memories into my mind of our stay there. Happy birthday from Finland!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Great photos and detail once again and I've come to expect nothing less on your pages. Wish my cousin owned a pub! Best wishes, Carol

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2006 at 1:32 PM

Lovely page on your ancestors' town. Would really love to visit it. The castles in the area look just great. Your digressions on the family make this place come to life even more. Hope you describe the B&Bs you stayed in too, I don't want to go bankrupt.

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Limerick

Have you been to Limerick?

Latest Activity in Limerick