"Life in Alaska - Doesn't get much better than this" RickinDutch's Profile

Home of the Largest Bears in North America

Taken in the summer of 2010, these 3 bears were fishing at the Russian River out a Bell's Flats just north of the airport. We decided to fish elsewhere ourselves that day.
Sept 2011 update. We came across the medium sized bear on the right in the above photo while silver salmon fishing on the Russian River. It has gotten much larger than last year and is much faster than he looks. He made it real clear that this was his creek so after a short but fast sprint to the car we went further on out the road and let him fish all by his lonesome.

Life on Kodiak Island

We are all settled in Kodiak, Alaska. The move from Unalaska (Dutch Harbor) after living there 18 years proved to me that the Mahatma had the right idea. A loincloth and a bowl are all you really need in life. Happy travels!

As I wander thru the many home pages and travel tips from thousands of folks from around the world I find great comfort in sharing that mutual understanding of the importantance of travel. Of getting outside of one's known world and experiencing life in someone else's shoes. Of seeking the different.

Americans are often accused of being ignorant of life in the rest of the world. And for the most part, it is hard to argue the point. On a trip to India years ago, I found myself trying to explain American foreign policy in Central America to the 12 year old daughter of a friend. She knew more about what we were doing there than I. I've never forgotten that lesson.

Travel, especially outside of our own borders, especially off the beaten path, gives us an understanding of how fortunate we have been and also an idea of what we have missed. Breaks down barriers and wipes away prejudicies. Opens the pores and the eyes.

Balancing real life with building virtual travelogues can be a bit dodgy - but doable. Right?

Awe inspiring

I've been to a few places around this world but never to any place that compares to Alaska. I now understand the term a "sense of place". I'll just be driving along to work mulling over some problem and then see a scene like this or a humpback whale surfacing in the bay - and my mouth drops open and all I can say is "WOW"!

Size does matter!

If you are planning a trip to Alaska, this image will give you a hint of how large we are. I love to tell Texans that if we cut ourselves into two, they would then be the third largest state.

• Intro Updated Jul 22, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
RickinDutch's Profile Photo

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Real Name