"Life in Alaska - Doesn't get much better than this" RickinDutch's Profile
Taken in the summer of 2010, these 3 bears were fishing at the Russian River out a Bell's Flats just north of the airport. We decided to fish elsewhere ourselves that day.
Sept 2011 update. We came across the medium sized bear on the right in the above photo while silver salmon fishing on the Russian River. It has gotten much larger than last year and is much faster than he looks. He made it real clear that this was his creek so after a short but fast sprint to the car we went further on out the road and let him fish all by his lonesome.
We are all settled in Kodiak, Alaska. The move from Unalaska (Dutch Harbor) after living there 18 years proved to me that the Mahatma had the right idea. A loincloth and a bowl are all you really need in life. Happy travels!
As I wander thru the many home pages and travel tips from thousands of folks from around the world I find great comfort in sharing that mutual understanding of the importantance of travel. Of getting outside of one's known world and experiencing life in someone else's shoes. Of seeking the different.
Americans are often accused of being ignorant of life in the rest of the world. And for the most part, it is hard to argue the point. On a trip to India years ago, I found myself trying to explain American foreign policy in Central America to the 12 year old daughter of a friend. She knew more about what we were doing there than I. I've never forgotten that lesson.
Travel, especially outside of our own borders, especially off the beaten path, gives us an understanding of how fortunate we have been and also an idea of what we have missed. Breaks down barriers and wipes away prejudicies. Opens the pores and the eyes.
Balancing real life with building virtual travelogues can be a bit dodgy - but doable. Right?
I've been to a few places around this world but never to any place that compares to Alaska. I now understand the term a "sense of place". I'll just be driving along to work mulling over some problem and then see a scene like this or a humpback whale surfacing in the bay - and my mouth drops open and all I can say is "WOW"!
If you are planning a trip to Alaska, this image will give you a hint of how large we are. I love to tell Texans that if we cut ourselves into two, they would then be the third largest state.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Seattle Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 380 Reviews
- 746 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 56 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Kolkata (Calcutta) travel pages
- Posted in Travel Yakutat Forum "Re: day tour to hubbard glacier,"
- RickinDutch and PSharma are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "Cruise ships"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cruise ships"
- updated a Kodiak Travelogue "Silver Salmon Fishing"
- Commented on the End of the Road, Kodiak travel guide
- Wrote a Review North Haul Road (Dalton Highway) in Alaska Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos