"Abingdon, Berkshire or Oxfordshire." Abingdon-on-Thames by Tdiver
Abingdon-on-Thames Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
As the title said,Berkshire or Oxfordshire.Up until 1867 it was the County town of Berkshire but under local government reshuffles it was moved into Oxfordshire in 1974.Reading became the new County town of Berkshire.
It is thought that because it was only served by a branch line of the railways,it got passed by and remained much the same size.Whereas Reading grew much bigger and as a result took over.
Settled since probably the Bronze age,it was a well known town in Roman times which then became a Saxon one.Earliest records show a hamlet called Sevekesham across the river Thames.
Hence it is regarded as being the oldest continually inhabited town in the Country.
Hean the nephew of King Cissa was granted land to build a monastery called Abbandun (Hill of Ebba),where the hill is is debatable and his sister Cilla founded the Nunnery of Helnestowe on or near the present church of St.Helens.
The monastery was the 6th richest in England before King Henry VIII's abolition.
The market has been on a monday since 1556 but some say 1328,who knows?
The Michaelmas Fair now called the Ock Fair is a popular event with the Runaway Fair a week later,both in October.The Michaelmas Fair was originally a hiring fair when workers sold themselves into a years bond of work,the runaway fair a week later when workers who had runaway from hard masters re-sold themselves.
Each June the local Morris Men gather to celebrate the election of the Mayor of Ock street.
In 1810 the Wilts and Berks canal reached Abingdon but was abandoned in 1906 due to the railway which also closed in September 1963 so now the only public transport is by bus,about every 20mins to Oxford,
or by boat in summer,from Oxford or Wallingford.
The bridge seen in the picture is 550 years old.
The town has lately been famous for it's MG cars but that factory also closed in 1980.Rallies still held by enthusiasts in the town.
The most prominent thing you see when entering the town is its famous County hall,now the museum.Designed by the mason who also worked on St.Pauls in London under Sir Christopher Wren,between 1678-82
The famous Morland brewery established in 1711 was also based in the town down Ock street since 1912 has also sadly gone,in 2000,taken over by Greene King.It was the country's second oldest independent brewery.
Lots of great pubs still in the town to visit as well as restaurants.
Town centre map
Vale of the White Horse Parishes
More in depth history found on these sites below.
Since i am originally from Windsor i couldn't help but put this in as well (The Wiches of Windsor)as they were tried here in Abingdon
- Pros:Compact little town.
- Cons:Slightly difficult to reach if not driving a car.
- In a nutshell:Loved it and will go back in summer next time.
If you're stopping at Abingdon then you're probably going to use here,so to ask about mooring and stuff. more travel advice
The Hospitium or guesthouse originally built in 1130,subsequently became the town's council chambers and was altered in... more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Abingdon-on-Thames Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Abingdon - more people should visit here!!"
- "Abingdon, Berkshire or Oxfordshire."
- "An hour in Abingdon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abingdon-on-Thames
- Transportation in Abingdon-on-Thames
- Restaurants in Abingdon-on-Thames
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abingdon-on-Thames
- 48 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Abingdon-on-Thames?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abingdon-on-Thames
Photos in Abingdon-on-ThamesSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos