"Historical Alanya." Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya by Tdiver
Alanya Travel Guide: 435 reviews and 986 photos
The city brags of having pirates,queens and war lords in its colourful past.Findings nearby give evidence that the region has been inhabited since prehistoric times.During the Roman era it was called Coracesium,during the Byzantine,Kolonoros which means beautiful mountain,then Alaiye meaning the town of Alaaddin,when Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat built the castle of today and then finally Alanya in 1934,changed by the then president,Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
It's said that pirates used the town around the Roman era,then that Emperor Mark Anthony and Queen Cleopatra spent their honeymoon here and that he gave her the town as a present.She then used many of the surrounding forests for her naval fleet.
Population is around 100,000 doubling in summer.
Average year round temperature is 19c with the water being 21c.
Situated 135 km from Antalya airport.
Web page in Turkish sorry,map of dive sites,(dalis noktalari). more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Alanya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WHITECLIFFS ALANYA PAGES"
- "Historical Alanya."
- "Magnificent Alanya"
- "FEEL VERY WELCOME IN ALANYA"
- "Holidays in Alanya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alanya
- Hotels in Alanya
- Transportation in Alanya
- Nightlife in Alanya
- Restaurants in Alanya
- Shopping in Alanya
- Warnings and Dangers in Alanya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alanya
- 37 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Alanya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alanya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos