"Historical Amasya." Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya by Tdiver
Amasya Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 411 photos
Located in the Yesilirmak valley,archaeological finds show that many civilisations have flourished in the area.The first going back to 5500B.C. but the more recent are the Hittites,the Kimmers,the Iskits,the Medes,Persians,the Hellenistic (Persian-Ponts),the Romans,the Byzantine,the Seljuk and the Ottoman Empire.
In the Hittite era it served as a centre of religion.In the Hellenistic the Capital of the Kingdom.Later it became a centre of culture where scholars,scientists,artists and poets lived.Well known historical figures like Geographer Strabon,Murad II,Bayezid II,Yavuz Sultan Selim,the master of calligraphers Seyh Hamdullah,the physician Sabuncuoglu Serefeddin and the first Ottoman poetess Mihri Hatum have all lived in Amasya.
It also played an important role during the War of Independence (1919-22).The idea of the foundation of the Modern Turkish Republic was first mentioned here in a written document,the Amasya Notice (June22, 1919).The famous statement "Independence of the nation will be realised by its self-determination" was also made here.
The Pontic Kings tombs are the most visible monuments in the valley,there are 21 of them in total.
Named after the mountain it sits on,it sits on 8 defensive levels and was first started around 3200 B.C.
- Pros:Lots to see and do.
- Cons:Can't say there are any.
- In a nutshell:Well worth 2 days at least.
Didn't get the chance to go in as it had shut and we left early next day but the child mummies inside are what most... more travel advice
From behind the new clock tower upstream a couple of bridges and directly under the castle and rock tombs,there are lots... more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Amasya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AMASYA (AMASEIA)"
- "Historical Amasya."
- "Stunning Amasya"
- "3000 years old brand new city !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amasya
- Hotels in Amasya
- Transportation in Amasya
- Nightlife in Amasya
- Restaurants in Amasya
- Shopping in Amasya
- Warnings and Dangers in Amasya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amasya
- 23 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Amasya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amasya
Photos in AmasyaSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos