"Heavenly island." Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada by Tdiver
Gokceada Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 221 photos
The Greek name for the island is Imbros or Imvros but now being Turkish since 1927 it is Gokceada which translates to Heavenly island. Most of the Greeks have gone now but there are pockets and several Orthodox Churches remain, indeed the present Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I was born on the island on 29th February 1940 in Aghios Theodorus, now renamed Zeytinlikoy. His and formerly his fathers old house is now a small coffee house near the centre of the village.
The highest point of the island is an extinct volcano but there are flatter areas to the south near Yuvali and Eselek, also the area for camping and windsurfing. Road are generally OK but sign posts aren't great nor are maps. Out of season it's hard to find anything except in the capital Gokceada or the main tourist area around Kalekoy (Kastro).
Currently there are only ferries from Kabatepe, east of Eceabat on the Gallipoli Peninsula but high season sees ferries also from Canakkale.
Lots of pensions in Yeni Bademli and some nice motels in and overlooking Kalekoy, serving great food. Olive trees are everywhere on the island and they sell their own oil. Three old Greek villages are worth a look but the smallest, Eski Bademli (Gliky) or just Bademli on the signpost isn't that big and the streets are rocky and narrow, you have been warned. The other two are Zeytinlikoy (Aghios Theodoros) and Tepekoy (Agridia) famous for it's Barba Yorgo restaurant. All the beaches are nice, with the longest being at Pinarbasi if you can find it. We looked in at Mavi Su resort on the SW end of the island and the beach is just perfect for kids.
Turkey's first marine national park is at Mavikoy, between Kalekoy and Kuzu Limani, on the NE coast. Couldn't see any diving and not sure if anyone does it there at present but the Mavisu Resort say they do it on their web pages..
- Pros:Relax with nature, nowhere is built-up except Gokceada town.
- Cons:Signs and roads.
- In a nutshell:If getting away from it all excites you, this is fairly good.
Motel or Pansiyon? Passed this just before entering Kalekoy, lots of others also around it, so all probably much the... more travel advice
OK so it isn't the best castle in the world but it gives you some nice views across the surrounding coastline, bay and... more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Gokceada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GOKCEADA, FIRST "CITTASLOW" ISLAND OF THE WORLD."
- "Heavenly island."
- "WINDY ISLAND"
- "Well kept Mediterranean secret"
- "GOKCEADA, ISLAND OF BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gokceada
- Hotels in Gokceada
- Transportation in Gokceada
- Nightlife in Gokceada
- Restaurants in Gokceada
- Shopping in Gokceada
- Warnings and Dangers in Gokceada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gokceada
- 18 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Gokceada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gokceada
Photos in GokceadaSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos