"Small and interesting" Top 5 Page for this destination Iznik by Tdiver
Iznik Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 249 photos
The town has been known as Nicaea since ancient times and it's present name to the words Eis and Nik, parts of the phrase Eis Ten Nikaieon meaning 'to Nicaea' in Greek. It's history dates back to around 2500 B.C.
Before Nicaea it was known as Helikare then Antigoneia. After the death of Alexander the Great, it's name was changed by the ex-governor of Thrace, Lysimachus to Nicaea after his wife Nike. In A.D.325 it held the first Christian Ecumenical council in the presence of the then Emporer Constantine I. It also held the 7th in the Ayasofia Church, now a museum and in the process of reconstruction and repair, hence closed in A.D. 787. It served as the capital city for both Selcuks and Byzantines. Since the 14th century A.D. it has been known for it's pottery.
Takes about 3 hours if you want to drive from Istanbul, the nearest airport is at Bursa.
Lots of information here, which is also in Turkish and German.
The road (D595) from the turn-off just past Karamursel on the Marmara sea is especially twisty in places until you reach the Iznik lake at Boyalica so be extra careful.
Tourist information office is next to the Hagia Sophia museum, has a very nice free booklet about the sites which has a rough map at the back.
- Pros:History, architecture and pottery.
- Cons:3 hr drive from Istanbul.
- In a nutshell:Well worth the effort and the scenery is great also.
Whether it's hotels or motels you like, there are some in Iznik but I didn't have enough time to go in and get... more travel advice
Also known as the Murat II hamam, it was built in the 15th century and was originally for both men and women, and it was... more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Iznik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A colorful mosaic of conquests and cultures"
- "The oldest capital city"
- "Small and interesting"
- "IZNIK, THE CAPITAL OF TWO EMPIRES"
- "Iznik Lake, Bursa, TR ...."
- "Iznik & Nicea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iznik
- Hotels in Iznik
- Transportation in Iznik
- Restaurants in Iznik
- Shopping in Iznik
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Iznik
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Iznik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iznik
Photos in IznikSee All Photos (23)
Videos in IznikSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos