"Sleepy Sile?" Top 5 Page for this destination Sile by Tdiver
Sile Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 110 photos
As a happening place then you wouldn't pick here but as a quiet day or two away from the city, 60km, then it's ideal in Spring or Autumn but in Summer it does tend to get a bit crowded. Quite a few restaurants dot the quayside, fresh fish is a must with the trawlers bobbing around closeby in the harbour.
Famous for its old lighthouse and its cotton garments.
See transport tips for exact details but although being a 2 hour bus trip,it's worth it just for the beach and you get a small fair thrown in too.
Thought to have been originally founded by Bithynians in the 7th century B.C. all the major kingdoms ruled over it at one time or another.
It has also been called Aschill, Philee, Artene and Kilia in its past.
Built in 1859 this is the main attraction after the beaches and although there is a small castle in the harbour, you can't visit it and it looks in a pretty precarious state.
We unfortunately arrived in the lighthouse keepers lunch hour so had to miss a visit.
On the western part of the town,if you come in by the old road,not the new one which takes you into the heart of the town, you can see lots of tea houses overlooking the bay. I'm sure from the top they look great but from below,some of the support structures look a bit dodgy.
For a long time Sile has been famous for its ( BEZI ) cotton and every year there is a festival at the end of July, which last a few days.
Several shops around the lighthouse and these were hanging outside the gate to it.
Click HERE for a basic map.
- Pros:Beaches look good and a relaxed place.
- Cons:Current road works in town.
- In a nutshell:Spectacular no, special yes.
Many shops in the local area selling Sile cotton blouses and the like, perfect for those hot sticky nights. more travel advice
Big wheel, boat, and several other amusements for the children plus adults by what i saw. more travel advice
Tdiver's Related Pages
Sile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sile - small resort near Black sea"
- "Sile - famous for cotton and Lighthouse"
- "AGVA / ISTANBUL"
- "Agva - little Black Sea town"
- "Sleepy Sile?"
- "Sile (Read like Shile)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sile
- Hotels in Sile
- Transportation in Sile
- Restaurants in Sile
- Shopping in Sile
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sile
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Sile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sile
Photos in SileSee All Photos (19)
Videos in SileSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 334 reviews, 452 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 217 reviews, 358 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kas Intro, 42 reviews, 149 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alacati Intro, 50 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalkan Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kesan Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos, 7 travelogues
- Abingdon-on-Thames Intro, 48 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos
- London 39 reviews, 35 photos