"Calgary, Alberta, Canada" Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary by penumbra
Calgary Travel Guide: 1,063 reviews and 1,921 photos
I like traveling because then I really enjoy coming home to Calgary. If I’m in Calgary for several months without a break it trends to get a bit boring. But if I’m out traveling, I really appreciate the city it when I get back.
Sure, there are some drawbacks. We don’t have a beach (sand beside a lake doesn’t count). The weather changes more often than the price of gas. The roads either have pot-holes, are dug up for construction or are covered with ice and snow.
But there are compensations. Calgary is a nice size… large enough to have all the amenities but small enough to avoid most of the mega-city problems. Although the temperature fluctuates wildly, we get a lot of blue sky days. The prairies are to the east, two rivers meet in the middle of the city, hills surround the outskirts and the mountains are on the horizon to the west. The people work hard, play hard and display a hospitality normally reserved for small towns.
Calgary is divided in four quadrants: North-East (NE), South-East (SE), South-West (SW) and North-West (NW). The dividing lines for these quadrants are Center Street and the Bow River (at least downtown). The central part of Calgary is a grid: streets run North-South; avenues run East-West. The same street/avenue combination can show up in each quadrant, so it’s important to pay attention to the two letter quadrant abbreviation after an address (NW, SW, SE, NE). In the newer outlying areas, planners have chosen to use twisting turning roads to prevent high speed driving through residential neighborhoods. Unfortunately, they often give the roads names similar to the neighborhood making it difficult to navigate if you’re unfamiliar with the area.
October 31, Halloween. The day when children dress up in costumes and go door to door begging for candy from strangers.... more travel advice
There has always been shopping in the mall downtown. Recently the mall was renovated with the roof being removed and... more travel advice
- See All What’s up Doc?
- See All A Ride to Remember
- See All The beginning and end of every trip
- See All Meet you downtown
- See All Hearing is believing
penumbra's Related Pages
Calgary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN THE VALLEY OF THE BOW"
- "Calgary, Alberta, Canada"
- "HATS OFF TO CALGARY"
- "Calgary - A Friendly City"
- "Home, Sweet Home..."
- "CALGARY - CANADIAN PRARIE METROPOLIS"
- "I may live in Toronto..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calgary
- Hotels in Calgary
- Transportation in Calgary
- Nightlife in Calgary
- Restaurants in Calgary
- Shopping in Calgary
- Warnings and Dangers in Calgary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calgary
- 65 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Calgary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calgary
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 65 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José Intro, 53 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlantic City Intro, 50 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Brussels Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saskatoon Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.