"Alkmaar, The Netherlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Alkmaar by penumbra
Alkmaar Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 350 photos
Alkmaar is north-west of Amsterdam and so is not on a main train route. However, the town is worth a stop if you would like to get pictures of the Dutch in some traditional clothing. Timing is critical though because the costumes only come out for the cheese market on Fridays (10am – noon) from April through August. There are other attractions in town worthy of a visit of course, but if you’re going to visit anyway, try to time it for the Friday morning cheese market. Your camera will be glad you did.
Head for the main street (Langestraat) in the center of town. At one end, closest to the train station is the Grote Kerk (Sint Laurenskerk). At the other end is the Waagplein with the cheese market, cheese museum and beer museum. Near the center of the street is the 16th century city hall (stadhuis). After that, enjoy the canals and the narrow streets of the old town center.
Originally a chapel for the Holy Ghost, this 14th century building was converted to a weigh house in 1582. Today it... more travel advice
Finished in 1520, Sint Laurenskerk houses the tomb of Floris V, Count of Holland (1254 -1296). It also houses the... more travel advice
penumbra's Related Pages
Alkmaar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alkmaar from the inside"
- "another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!"
- "A little page about Alkmaar"
- "Alkmaar, The Netherlands"
- "Alkmaar on a hot sunny day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alkmaar
- Hotels in Alkmaar
- Transportation in Alkmaar
- Nightlife in Alkmaar
- Restaurants in Alkmaar
- Shopping in Alkmaar
- Warnings and Dangers in Alkmaar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alkmaar
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Alkmaar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alkmaar
Photos in AlkmaarSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 65 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José Intro, 53 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlantic City Intro, 50 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Brussels Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saskatoon Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.