"Delft, The Netherlands" Delft by penumbra
Delft Travel Guide: 520 reviews and 1,413 photos
Delft is an ancient city. The narrow streets that flank the canals were obviously never meant for cars. If you forget to set the hand-break, you might come back to see that your car has gone for a swim while you were gone. Just south of The Hague on the train line to Rotterdam, Delft is an easy stop off for a visit. There’s also a tram that connects The Hague’s main train stations with Delft.
I always thought that Delft must be a bit touristy because this is one of the few towns visitors seem to know about other than Amsterdam. In reality, there never seemed to be too many tourists in Delft.
Delft holds a special memory for me in that this is where I had my first Pannenkoeken (Dutch Pancake). The restaurant looking out onto the main square gave the impression that it had been there for centuries. Instead of cloth, the tables were covered with carpet fragments. The menu offered an amazing variety of toppings available to placed on our Pannenkoeken. And yes, the stroop is a sweet syrup, but it certainly isn’t maple syrup.
Except for a tower called Het Nieuwe Steen, the town hall burnt down in the early 17th century. The building was... more travel advice
Taking a hundred year to build, the tower of the New church was finally completed in 1496. Damaged by a lightening... more travel advice
penumbra's Related Pages
Delft Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your Dutch quaintness fix :-)"
- "Delft from where the "blue" conquered the world."
- "DELFT --A SPECIAL PLACE IN OUR HEARTS"
- "Delving into Delft"
- "Playing tourist on a beautiful sunny but cold day"
- "Delving Through Delft"
- "The Royal Delft"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delft
- Hotels in Delft
- Transportation in Delft
- Nightlife in Delft
- Restaurants in Delft
- Shopping in Delft
- Warnings and Dangers in Delft
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delft
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Delft?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delft
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 65 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José Intro, 53 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlantic City Intro, 50 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Brussels Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saskatoon Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.