"San Jose, Costa Rica" Top 5 Page for this destination San José by penumbra
San José Travel Guide: 525 reviews and 875 photos
Most travelers arriving in Costa Rica head for the beaches or the jungles. When you do run across tourists in downtown San Jose, it’s in small groups quickly engulfed by local pedestrians. However, since most adventures to Costa Rica begin and end in San Jose it pays to be aware of the many opportunities available in the city.
No need for weather stations, the temperature is always the same, hovering around 25C during day with showers in the afternoon. Get up early and enjoy walking around while the sun is out. When the rain starts, head for the museums or a late lunch. It’ll clear up in the evening, but you may need to carry and umbrella to fend off light sprinkles.
Downtown San Jose is a grid… Avenidas run east-west, while Calles run north-south. The streets are NOT numbered sequentially, but increase from Avenida Central in odd numbers going north and even numbers going south or from Calle Central in odd numbers going east and even numbers going east.
You’ll see (and hear) street vendors downtown with lottery tickets pinned to their wooden tables. Lotería nacional... more travel advice
Built in the 1928, this 1000 seat theatre has gone through numerous remodelings and changes in function. Currently, it... more travel advice
- See All Retro Tico
- See All Mercado Central – Central Market
- See All Banco Central de Costa Rica – National...
- La Sabana
penumbra's Related Pages
San José Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Jose, Costa Rica"
- "Three (Green) Weeks in San José"
- "San Jose, Capital City of Costa Rica"
- "San Jose"
- "Pleasant, but don't dawdle here"
- "the capital..."
- "Where the Streets Have No Names"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San José
- Hotels in San José
- Transportation in San José
- Nightlife in San José
- Restaurants in San José
- Shopping in San José
- Warnings and Dangers in San José
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San José
- 53 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to San José?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San José
Photos in San JoséSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 65 reviews, 165 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José Intro, 53 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlantic City Intro, 50 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Brussels Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saskatoon Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.