"I Left My Heart in Cloudcroft!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cloudcroft by HispanicYob

Cloudcroft Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 109 photos

The Four Season Playland

Next to Ruidoso, I think I have found another great New Mexican town that is worth checking out and then some!

Cloudcroft is located in Lincoln National Forest, along route 82 from Alamagordo. The drive through a mountain tunnel takes you into an amazing alpine environment. The town isn't very hard to navigate, and you're greeted with amazing views all around. Everything is pretty much within walking distance if you choose to do so, whether it's shopping or resturants.

My first visit, if only for a day

Me and my friend Donna decided to do a random day adventure from Albuquerque out to Cloudcroft. It was somewhere I had always wanted to go, and after the good times in Ruidoso I was sure this would wind up another favorite New Mexican mountain destination.

The weather was beautiful and mild for our January visit. It allowed us to enjoy the surrounding wilderness and the town without the uncomfy nip of Mother Frost nipping at us. Our drive through the town led us to some much needed sustenance at Big Daddy's Diner. The main shopping area of the town is along Burro Ave.

Back again, and again in the future!

We weren't to stay for very long, if only for a day. Our first visit ended with a visit to the Mexican Railway Tressle, or Cloudcroft Tressle to overlook a view of what was once a booming railroad, surrounded by the sounds of crows and ravens flying around, and oddly enough, we heard what sounded like an old train whistle in the distance. It sounded kind of far, and we thought there were some speakers around that generated the sound, but couldn't see any. It was very strange and spooky. Surely the sound came from somewhere.

Me and my family returned the following week after my first visit, as I wanted to take a trip not only to show them this amazing little town, but to purchase a Yogi Bear wooden statue I seen that would look great under the family porch. My family loved it here as well. Upon my second visit to the Railway Tressle, we didn't hear the train whistle. Wow, so maybe something paranormal happened my first visit?!? Who knows!

• Pros:Beautiful mountains, fresh air, great homestyle restaurants, the ambience
  • Cons:Maybe perhaps the cost of living, but I don't live here, and it is a mountain town, so don't go by that
  • In a nutshell:A New Mexican gem that should be explored!
  • Last visit to Cloudcroft: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2013

Comments

Badges & Stats in Cloudcroft

Have you been to Cloudcroft?

Latest Activity in Cloudcroft