"Gateway of the Yukon" Skagway by HispanicYob
Skagway Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 459 photos
....how isolated this town is, it's Skagway. This was as far north as our cruise ships went. But I did have an opportunity to go up further, into the Yukon, which I did and I'm glad I did. Skagway's a typical small Alaskan town, with the population a little over 700. It's Alaska's gateway to the Yukon and it shows. You can pan for gold in the nearby rivers and there's Gold Rush Cemetery to see, among other things.
That's the words to describe Skagway. There's not much going on in the town itself, but once you explore outside of it is where it's truly something to behold. You can hike up to the Lower Dewey Falls, which is where this picture was taken (we were heading there), out from some overlook. The types of things you can do are dogsledding (which I did and it was great) and take the White Pass Yukon Route (which I'll describe in the next chapter).
As least that's how our cruise director aboard our ship called it. Apparently it's right up there with the likes of the Eiffel Tower as far as architecture is concerned. I got to go for free (the advantadges of being a crewmember) deep into Caribou Crossing in the Yukon Territories of Canada. It was a 7 hour excursion that took us through Skagway and across the border into British Columbia. It was breathtaking! Give it a try! I'm glad I did!
- Pros:Tons of excursions to do, the natural beauty
- Cons:The tourist traps within the town, i.e. the Red Onion Saloon
- In a nutshell:Looking for adventure? Skagway has it! You just have to look for it
There's lots of graves in the Gold Rush Cemetery, located at the far side of town. Please respect the dead and watch... more travel advice
If you want some good exercise, try hiking towards Dewey Falls. It's a nice tranquil little place and it's not entirely... more travel advice
HispanicYob's Related Pages
Skagway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skagway, Alaska"
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Skagway"
- "Half the Year Here................"
- "SKAGWAY, GOLD RUSH COUNTRY"
- "Skagway - Boomtown of the Klondike Gold Rush"
- "Skagway....what an entrance to Alaska!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skagway
- Hotels in Skagway
- Transportation in Skagway
- Nightlife in Skagway
- Restaurants in Skagway
- Shopping in Skagway
- Warnings and Dangers in Skagway
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Skagway
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Skagway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skagway
Photos in SkagwaySee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos
- Sydney Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Skagway Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Juneau Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos