"The Roadrunner Goes Beep Beep!" New Mexico by HispanicYob

New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,213 reviews and 10,358 photos

New Mexico in a Nutshell

This is the land where I was born. Where it all started. From childhood to the present day. Good times and bad times. Until I left for my first ever international journey to England at the age of 19, I knew nothing else. I knew I had a huge desire to travel and to experience different cultures. It's been a loveable addiction ever since. But I know I always can come back home, to New Mexico. It makes me appreciate home that much more whenever I travel and stay away for a while.

New Mexico is mostly a desert yes. But it also has it's lush areas, particularly along the Rio Grande Valley. Farms and ranches dot the landscapes outside of the major cities and towns. We're not a state with huge populations. Which is a good thing. I think that's why whenever I've visited cities like New York City or Los Angeles, I get a huge culture shock. The crowds and all. It makes me appreciate the rural areas of home much more. New Mexico is home to some of the best local food you will ever come across! Many people from all over the U.S. are fond of our red and green chile, which is exclusive to our state. Sure, other countries have chile plants, but ours is unique and a flavor that's second to none!

Our state doesn't get much recognition in the press or in popular culture. I'm always a bit disgusted when some people don't even know where New Mexico is or even heard of our state. However, our state has been host to lots of events, like our Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta that happens every year in fall. We've also been in Hollywood's eye for decades. Famous and iconic films like Easy Rider, No Country for Old Men and Armageddon being shot here in our state. Recent films to have been filmed here in the Land of Enchantment include the Transformers films, True Grit (the 2010 version), Gamer, Wild Hogs and Terminator: Salvation. Just to name a few. Yeah, our state attracts all kinds of media looking for unspoilt terrain and frontier.

Adventure

New Mexico is no different from any other state in the sense of geography. We, like other states, have mountain ranges, lakes, rivers and forests. However, a lot of things are unique to our state. Such as White Sands National Monument, pictured below. We offer a lot of adventure here! You can ride our Tramway, the world's longest, up to the Sandia Mountains. You can explore Carlsbad Caverns. Ride a hot-air balloon during the world famous Balloon Fiesta. Or you can partake in the feast days and festivals of the many Native American pueblos that are located in our state. You can visit some wolves at Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary or stay in haunted hotels such as St. James in Cimarron! You can take a ride on the Rail Runner (a commuter train that extends form Belen to Santa Fe) and partake in the Wine Festival held in September. Horseback riding, snowboarding and Old West excursions are also a highlight! If you're looking for outdoor adventure, our state is a good place to start!

Traditional

New Mexico is home to a huge Catholic population. I'm Hispanic, so the Catholic faith is especially strong in me. Traditions are imporant here. Santuario de Chimayo(which is pictured below) is home to one of the most important Catholic pilgrimages in the U.S.A. and is famed for it's holy dirt and acts of miracles that have happened here. One tradition that is upheld is the matanza. Matanza is Spanish for "slaughter". But it doesn't involve wars or violence. It involves raising a pig and then killing it. The pig is buried underground overnight wrapped in foil and gunny sacks to protect the meat from the dirt. It is then raised from the ground in the morning and made into various things like chicharrones (little slices of cooked and crisp pig meat) and other food items which are then followed by a party. My family usually likes to have it around the Super Bowl season.

• Pros:Good climate, excellent local food, red and green chile, our beautiful sunsets, our mountain ranges, a lot of untouched scenic areas,
  • Cons:our windy days, really hot summers, everything is really spread out, infrastructure is some places is outdated and in need of work
  • In a nutshell:There's adventure in them hills if you choose to seek it!
  • Intro Written Sep 28, 2011

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

what a gloriously diverse state with so much natural beauty, and still hidden from so many! Thinking of the luminarias at christmas!

HispanicYob Lives Here!

Badges & Stats in New Mexico

Have you been to New Mexico?

Latest Activity in New Mexico