"Un-BELIZE-able.....as the locals say anyways!" Belize City by HispanicYob
Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos
Belize City is located on the eastern side of Belize. Nearby is home to some of the world's greatest diving and reefs. It's also one of the many ports of call for cruise ships. Tendering takes about 10-15 minutes depending on the tender boat. They're all tendered by the locals.
And when I say this I mean it's not like St. Thomas or St. Maarten as far as organization is concerned. If you get off at the pier, the first thing you encounter is the typical tourist arcade full of postcard shops and diamond shops. Once however you leave these, you approach either a fence or gates. On the other side is the true Belize City. You'll find that it's fairly dirty. The weather's quite humid most of the time so make sure you back some sunscreen and a hat and especially sunglasses.
The Old Belize river, which cuts around near the city, is home to some spectacular wildlife. Howler monkeys and mantarays are some of the wildlife you can expect to see. One thing I bet you didn't know is that a lot of stuff we use (medicenes, juices, etc) all come out of Belize City and Belize in one way or another. They also tend to make a wine out of everything you can imagine (carrot wine, grape wine, banana wine/rum, etc.)
- Pros:The beauty of Old Belize River
- Cons:Dirty, not much to see
If you get a chance to check out Belize Zoo outside of Belize City, be sure to leave your mark on the wall here. The... more travel advice
This is was another excursion I did during my last week on ships, seeing Belize for the last time. It was a wildlife... more travel advice
HispanicYob's Related Pages
Belize City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- "Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
- "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- "Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City"
- "belize city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize City
- Hotels in Belize City
- Transportation in Belize City
- Nightlife in Belize City
- Restaurants in Belize City
- Shopping in Belize City
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize City
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Belize City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize City
Photos in Belize CitySee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Albuquerque Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos
- Seattle Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Sydney Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Toronto Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Skagway Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue