"My New Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Newquay by sunshinejo

Newquay Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 281 photos

July 1st 2006:

Well, the summer is certainly ticking by very quickly indeed! I have now been in Newquay for just over 2 months, and feel I've gotten to know the area fairly well, although there's still plenty of exploration to be had!!

I grew up about an hour from Newquay, so have always been familiar with the town. Back in the day Newquay was known for it's surfing. People came here from all over the country to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, the sun, the beaches and, most importantly, the waves. I guess you could say it was England's answer to California.

Sadly these days Newquay seems to have gone downhill. It's been taken over by rowdy groups of boys and/or girls who come here for long weekends, seemingly with the sole purpose of getting ludicrously drunk and creating a riot. At weekends the hotels, bars and beaches are filled with people drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, doing drugs, and showing zero respect for others. The streets and beaches are littered with newspapers, take-away food packaging and broken glass, it's horrible!

However, inspite of this incredibly ugly side to the town, I actually really love it here. If you know where to look you can still find that relaxed surfer atmosphere that used to be associated with Newquay. It's possible to escape the wild parties and find wonderful, down-to-earth people who are able to enjoy themselves and still respect the town and the countryside at the same time. And in some ways, I think that the extra effort needed to discover this side of Newquay makes it all the more special when you do.

May 12th 2006: I arrived in Newquay a little over 2 weeks ago, and to be honest I'm finding it very difficult to write an intro for a place I hardly know. So I shall take the easy way out and say nothing - at least not for now.

Please come back, as I shall be adding little snippets of information as I discover them and hopefully by the autumn this page will have a lot more meat to it!

For now, all I shall say is that Newquay is a really pretty little town in a stunning location, and from what I hear it can be pretty wild here too... I suspect I have an interesting summer laying ahead of me!

• Last visit to Newquay: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2006

sunshinejo Lives Here!

sunshinejo

“Time won't wait for you, so do all the things you want to do! - Jamiroquai”

Badges & Stats in Newquay

Have you been to Newquay?

Latest Activity in Newquay