"The Odd Culture Clashes of Southwestern New Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Silver City by bocmaxima
Silver City Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 134 photos
Silver City is truly one of the strangest towns in the country. Historically, it has been a mining town, as obvious from its name. However, Silver City has the benefit of having a state university in town (Western New Mexico University), plus is near one of the most beautiful and remote wilderness areas in the Southwest, and thus the economy and community have largely diversified since the town's early days.
The first thing you'll encounter in Silver City is the strange separation through the middle of town. This is "The Big Ditch" and is actually the result of a major flood in 1895 that sank what was Main Street down about 30 feet. As a result, Bullard Street has all but taken over the duties of Main Street and serves as the main drag Downtown.
Downtown Silver City is the town's main attraction with its art galleries, small restaurants and historic buildings. The art community here is actually very surprising and comparable to that of larger towns.
- Pros:beautiful setting, undiscovered, untainted town
Gila National Forest begins just outside of Silver City. Much of the Gila National Forest is wild and untamed, the... more travel advice
The first thing I have to mention is that the name of this place is rather misleading: the beer is not actually brewed... more travel advice
bocmaxima's Related Pages
Silver City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Silver City Page"
- "A very appealing town"
- "The Odd Culture Clashes of Southwestern New Mexico"
- "7dolphin7's new Silver City Page"
- "Not Much here yet...."
- "Silver City, New Mexico"
- "towhee's Gila Cliff Dwellings Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silver City
- Hotels in Silver City
- Transportation in Silver City
- Nightlife in Silver City
- Restaurants in Silver City
- Shopping in Silver City
- Warnings and Dangers in Silver City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silver City
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Silver City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silver City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 43 reviews, 12 photos
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Phoenix 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Omaha Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Angeles Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Albuquerque 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cleveland Intro, 12 reviews, 3 photos
- Socorro Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Orlando Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos