"Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' by Jasen71

Sevastopol' Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 403 photos

The Pearl of the Black Sea

Until 1991, Sevastopol, home of the Black Sea fleet, was a forbidden city closed to all but military personnel, their families and workers in support industries. It was a further five years before foreigners were allowed to wander around its battlements and boulevards, and observe the scars and monuments of a city built by Catherine the Great as a showpiece of Russian imperial glory. A few miles along the coast, Balaklava was also strictly off-limits for reasons that only 007 James Bond knew why!

Black Sea Fleet

This is a Russian City! A bold statement I know!! But remember that utter a word of Ukrainian here and it would be meet with an indifference.. The Crimea was ceded to Ukriane in the 1950s for political reasons, and not because of ethnic leanings... All I am saying is bring your russian phrase book...

Hero City

From the Crimea war in the 1850s to the Second World War of 1940s the city defended itself with great loss of life and they didn't cede an inch of ground without a fight...

• Pros:Great Weather, Great Beaches & Lively Nightlife
  • Cons:Poor service
  • In a nutshell:It reminds me of the 1980's
  • Last visit to Sevastopol': Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 11, 2007

• Feb 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I have visited it several times and the food was good. On one rare occassion I had need to use the toilet. If it was anything like the kitchen I am sorry to say my wife and I will never go back. Disgusting. Also have a look at the back of the building!!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Interesting update about the flea market, but isn't it a bit difficult to distinguish fake from real war stuff??? :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Fantastic page which gave me a lot of info and some good laugh as well. Balaklava looks great! I like also Lenin under water :-) and Dream of Impotent :-).

• erdacoca's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 3:34 PM

wow....i guess i will go this sept !!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 1:37 PM

Great page with beautiful pics. It`s must be great place for holidays :)

• Jan 27, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Hi Jasen, Thank you for the compliments on my Singapore Page. Yeah, Singapore was great! I have learnt much from your Sevastopol Page. Thank you for sharing.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 9:54 AM

The Crimea was off limits to me during my 5 year stay in Russia. My ex-Russian girlfriend had her grandparents here and even she or her mum needed a special permit! Gr8 tips and pics.TIM

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 9:03 AM

Hey! 10x 4 visiting my Romania pages. You have some great pages here with excellent info!!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 8:40 AM

great tips!

• Pupa's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 9:29 AM

Thanks for your comments on my pages...Sevastopol is one of my favorite cities, and i'm glad you liked it too! Raya.

Jasen71

“Tourists see what they want to see, and travellers see what they see”

Badges & Stats in Sevastopol'

Have you been to Sevastopol'?