"Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' by Jasen71
Sevastopol' Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 411 photos
Until 1991, Sevastopol, home of the Black Sea fleet, was a forbidden city closed to all but military personnel, their families and workers in support industries. It was a further five years before foreigners were allowed to wander around its battlements and boulevards, and observe the scars and monuments of a city built by Catherine the Great as a showpiece of Russian imperial glory. A few miles along the coast, Balaklava was also strictly off-limits for reasons that only 007 James Bond knew why!
This is a Russian City! A bold statement I know!! But remember that utter a word of Ukrainian here and it would be meet with an indifference.. The Crimea was ceded to Ukriane in the 1950s for political reasons, and not because of ethnic leanings... All I am saying is bring your russian phrase book...
From the Crimea war in the 1850s to the Second World War of 1940s the city defended itself with great loss of life and they didn't cede an inch of ground without a fight...
- Pros:Great Weather, Great Beaches & Lively Nightlife
- Cons:Poor service
- In a nutshell:It reminds me of the 1980's
The Food, Service and Decor are the best.... Do I need to say anymore? A meal here will set you back around $20 - $40... more travel advice
Dream of the Impotents is what the locals call this massive and imposing Statue/Monument which stands near the entrance... more travel advice
- See All Oh! You have to haggle!!
- See All Malakhov Hill
- Big Smiles in Sevastopol
- PADI Centre 'Aquamarine' Balaklava
Jasen71's Related Pages
Sevastopol' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A formerly closed city trying to get it's sea legs"
- "Sevastopol'-the city of Russian glory"
- "Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!"
- "Sevastopol - city of monuments"
- "Sevastopol-navy city"
- " SO SPECIAL... "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sevastopol'
- Hotels in Sevastopol'
- Transportation in Sevastopol'
- Nightlife in Sevastopol'
- Restaurants in Sevastopol'
- Shopping in Sevastopol'
- Warnings and Dangers in Sevastopol'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sevastopol'
- 24 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Sevastopol'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sevastopol'
- Posted in Travel Jersey Forum "Re: Jersey over Christmas"
- updated a Sevastopol' Travel Page "Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!"
- Wrote a Review Georgian Restaurant Kazbek in Sevastopol' Restaurants
- Commented on one of jeoren's Sevastopol' travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 61 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Skopje Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Kutna Hora Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaporizhzhya Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedlec (Bone Church) Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guernsey Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Kiev Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos