"A bridge too far" Arnhem by Jasen71
Arnhem Travel Guide: 381 reviews and 1,375 photos
During the Second World War the Allied forces tried to secure a bridge over the rhine in 1944 to enable the allied forces to enter Germany and end the war sooner, and into history Arnhem Bridge became 'The Bridge too Far'.
In Arnhem, only one battalion of parachute troops under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel John Frost, managed to reach the Rhine Bridge. Because it proved impossible to take the bridge, the British occupied the houses and buildings around the northern bridge ramp and awaited reinforcements, but these did not arrive.
Jasen71's Related Pages
Arnhem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arnhem, green, green and more green"
- "These Arnhem pages are dedicated to Paul & Family"
- ""Garden City of the Rhine""
- "ARNHEM --A REAL GEM"
- "Five days alone in Arnhem..."
- "A visit I will never forget..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arnhem
- Hotels in Arnhem
- Transportation in Arnhem
- Nightlife in Arnhem
- Restaurants in Arnhem
- Shopping in Arnhem
- Warnings and Dangers in Arnhem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arnhem
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Arnhem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arnhem
- Posted in Travel Jersey Forum "Re: Jersey over Christmas"
- Wrote a Review Walk over a piece of history and bridge history in Arnhem Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk over a piece of history and bridge history"
- created a Arnhem Travel Page "A bridge too far"
- Commented on one of Waalewiener's Arnhem travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 61 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Skopje Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Kutna Hora Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaporizhzhya Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedlec (Bone Church) Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guernsey Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Kiev Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos