"9X5 The Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey by Jasen71

Jersey Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 473 photos

Welcome to a place I call Home

The Island of Jersey's history has created a dynamic community, one which looks for challenges and opportunities beyond its own 45 square mile (117 square km) shores.

A Norman territory from 933 until 1066, the Channel Islands chose allegiance to the English Crown when, in 1204, when the Anglo-Norman Kingdom was divided.

Whilst remembering its heritage, with many French place names and a second ’Jersey-French’ language, Jersey has remained a loyal English Crown Dependency ever since.

Royal Charters, drawn up in 1204, which detail Jersey’s constitutional rights of self-government, judicial independence and freedom to set its own taxes, have remained the foundations of Jersey’s success for 800 years. The Island is loyal only to the English Queen or King, Our Duke, not to any United Kingdom Government or political party.

During the English Civil War, Jersey became the refuge for King Charles II which was provided by Sir George (de) Carteret, Lord of the Manor and Seigneur of the Parish of St Ouen. In 1660, after the English throne was returned to him, King Charles II wrote to Sir George promising to reward him for his kindness. In 1664 the King made good his promise and gave George Carteret joint ownership of a province in America which he renamed New Jersey in honour of his Island home.

In more recent times, the Channel Islands were the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans during World War II until allied liberation on May 9th 1945. Many fortifications remain and now prove popular with international historians and visitors. More information can be found on the website of Jersey’s award-winning historical trust (www.jerseyheritagetrust.org).

Jersey’s history has been a colourful one. The Island’s economy has evolved from the days of thriving knitting, boat building and fishing industries, to successes in agriculture, tourism and finance; the latter now provides around 60% of the Island’s revenue.

Sunset at St Ouen's Bay

• Pros:Friendly and safe for visitors
  • Cons:Getting quite expensive to live here...
  • In a nutshell:Nevermind the locals
  • Last visit to Jersey: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2008

• May 25, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Thanks for posting this.Wholesale Nfl Jerseys Very nice recap of some of the key points in my talk. I hope you and your readers find it useful! Thanks again

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Hi Jasen... had to return to your Jersey page. Once we move to Scotland (in about 2 years' time) we'll start exploring Europe, and Jersey is on my list! Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• Dec 16, 2008 at 9:46 AM

While there is still an auction held at Glencoe, it is no longer Maillard's. They are now further north at th old butterfly farm site of Haute Tombette.

• allelli's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Congrats for your Jersey page and your tips help a lot specially the accommodation

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I thought Jersey was next to New York!!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Hello, Jasen! Thanks for your page! Now I know much more about your place!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Its the kind of photo I like. Thanks for also your detailed introduction to Jersey. The name Jersey has been in my mind for long time. I must go sometime. I missed the opportunity to visit when I was living in France. But its not so far. Regards

• Dialing's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Hi Jasen! Great to meet with U in Kiev. Really enjoy your travelling style and VT-pagesm expecilly for Jersey. Still discovering a lot ;) Bud'mo!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM

What a sweet place! Enjoyed learning about a place I've never known. Gorgeous cliffs and coves...and I love field auctions. Think I would enjoy a visit to your little spot.

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 1:38 PM

I had forgot all about St Ouens but you gave me back some memories thanks Jason!.

Jasen71 Lives Here!

Jasen71

“Tourists see what they want to see, and travellers see what they see”

Badges & Stats in Jersey