"Brian Churchill's homepage" bchurchill's Profile
Everywhere I've been in my life I try and get lost. I truely believe that you cannot experience a culture until you are away from the tourist centers and english speakers. It forces you to interact and communicate with people. I first discovered this in Guatemala several years ago. After a long day of Kayaking and chicken bus riding I found myself surrounded by 6 bandits armed with machetes. They took all of the cash that I had (587 quetzales) and my t-shirt, but left me with my life. I walked aimlessly in the dark through a small road in the jungle until I came upon a town. I was probably so white that you could have seen me from satelite. In a secret compartment in my pants I had hidden my passport and a credit card, but found quickly that in a town that does not have electricity credit card usage is impossible. After sleeping behind a buiding for a few hours and wondering to another town that did have electricity I was able to purchase a shirt and found a tourism official to drive me to the nearest large city. From there I met wonderful friends that showed me a guatemala that I would have never experienced otherwise. One night they took me a local bar, and introduced me to the entire village, people were coming out the wood work to shake my hand and bring me their daughters. It turned out that the US Army had been there a few years before me and built clinics. I had never been treated like such a celebrity. After all of this time had passed I missed my flight, but I look back on the experience with great fondness (except for the robbery). Where ever I travel now I attempt to get lost
Most good pages have an abundance of historical information regarding the sites they have visited. I must admit that my page is average. I will try to give that piece of info that maybe others missed, or particular experiences that I think no one should miss.
The majority of my friends and collegues are perfectly content with staying with 25 miles of their respective homes. I can't handle that! visiting new places, meeting new people and conjuring new adventures is my idea of fun.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 66 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 15 Countries
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Commented on one of bchurchill's Cusco travel pages
- bchurchill and GCoop are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Brian Churchill's homepage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Come with a Visa"
- Wrote a Review Come with a Visa in Hanoi Warnings and Dangers
- created a Hue Travel Page "Brian Churchill's Hue Page"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: now I know the world has gone..."
Top 10 Pages
- Bahía de los Ángeles Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- San Antonio de las Minas Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Prague Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Pribram Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Skopje Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Novo Brdo Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Italy Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Bled Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22192 Reviews - 53983 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23034 Reviews - 47260 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7497 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7697 Reviews - 19749 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos