"Life is a Bowl of Porkchops" travelingbunny's Profile

At Home
Keep on Truckin'

My traveling days date back from when at the age of nine my mother and I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico from our hometown of Boston. Money was tight and my mom was a bit of a "free spirit" so our usual method of transportation between the two places was the thumb. I was the only 4th grader I knew who had criss-crossed the highways of America, riding high in the cab of an 18-wheeler. I was even given a cb call sign by one of the truckers, 'morning glory,' in honor of my blue eyes. Times have certainly changed since then, for me, my mom and the kind of America where one could travel on nothing more than the generosity of strangers. However, those early days have served me well; instilling in me a natural wanderlust, and nostalgia for the big truck stops of the West.

Living the Dream

My first experience traveling internationaly was a semester abroad in Florence, Italy. To say I was completely smitten would be a gross understatement. The time I spent there was a transformational experience, profoundly impacting the direction of my life, not to mention being a pleasant change from the Syracuse winter. My plan once I graduated was to go back to Italy and try and find a job. Of course, as many best laid plans go, life kept getting in the way... fear of not finding work, not wanting to go alone, school debt, etc.. Finally, six years after graduating I decided that I had to go, it was either that, or forget about my dream once and for all. And so, I quit my job, packed my bags and went. I spent a year in Florence, and when I returned to the States it was with a greater respect for my own capabilities, tales of fantastic adventures, and life-long friends.

• Intro Updated Mar 12, 2006

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 1:48 AM

Happy Birthday and greetings from Poland.

• louiseanne's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 7:25 AM

Thanks for your comments re: Venice in Feb. I was hoping to hear exactly that, I had a feeling costumes & events would be a great way to be transported back to the real renaissance and you have convinced me of just that

• TravelSimone's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Nice front page. I especially enjoyed your commentary.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 5:49 PM

Ooooh! You are Good! Great writing and tip giving... I really enjoyed your Dublin and Nola pages! Could Emeril have anything to do with your "bowl of porkchops"? Keep building your pages! You do a great service for us all! Best Wishes from North Carolina!

• Jun 6, 2005 at 9:19 PM

Welcome to VT family . Greetings from India. Have a great time in this community of travel and adventure.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
travelingbunny's Profile Photo

travelingbunny

“Life is a Bowl of Porkchops”

Location