"Life is a Bowl of Porkchops" travelingbunny's Profile
My traveling days date back from when at the age of nine my mother and I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico from our hometown of Boston. Money was tight and my mom was a bit of a "free spirit" so our usual method of transportation between the two places was the thumb. I was the only 4th grader I knew who had criss-crossed the highways of America, riding high in the cab of an 18-wheeler. I was even given a cb call sign by one of the truckers, 'morning glory,' in honor of my blue eyes. Times have certainly changed since then, for me, my mom and the kind of America where one could travel on nothing more than the generosity of strangers. However, those early days have served me well; instilling in me a natural wanderlust, and nostalgia for the big truck stops of the West.
My first experience traveling internationaly was a semester abroad in Florence, Italy. To say I was completely smitten would be a gross understatement. The time I spent there was a transformational experience, profoundly impacting the direction of my life, not to mention being a pleasant change from the Syracuse winter. My plan once I graduated was to go back to Italy and try and find a job. Of course, as many best laid plans go, life kept getting in the way... fear of not finding work, not wanting to go alone, school debt, etc.. Finally, six years after graduating I decided that I had to go, it was either that, or forget about my dream once and for all. And so, I quit my job, packed my bags and went. I spent a year in Florence, and when I returned to the States it was with a greater respect for my own capabilities, tales of fantastic adventures, and life-long friends.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 48 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- updated a Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travelogue "The Amazing Iguazu Falls"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Amazing Iguazu Falls"
updated their Profile Page "Life is a Bowl of Porkchops"
- Posted in Travel Buenos Aires Forum "RE: RE: Nightlife tips?"
- Wrote a Review Bargains on Main Street in Luang Prabang Shopping
- Commented on one of allthai's Chiang Mai travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Mujeres Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Dublin Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morro Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Sydney 2 reviews, 2 photos
- San Francisco 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.