"Mechanicsville, my hometown" Mechanicsville by gipper84

Mechanicsville Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 134 photos

Mechanicsville is a relatively small town compared to most suburban towns now popping up all over the country. Mechanicsville in the present day has a population comparable to most towns in rural suburban counties. The thing I have come to love the most about Mechanicsville is the small town setting which is obvious from the moment you get here. Most people only know of Mechanicsville as a small town located off of I-295 with a Waffle House and an IHOP. They know of our proximity to Richmond International Raceway, and maybe even as a small engine of growth in the Metro Richmond Area. What they miss about Mechanicsville, however, is the culture and the feel of a close-knit community. I remember the mornings when I would get up for breakfast and go to the Mechanicsville drugstore. The Mechanicville Drugstore is basically where all the town locals go to eat. On any given day, you can see the honorary mayor of Mechanicsville having his daily coffee and chatting about the local gossip. I love the feeling of going to my local Friends church, known as Hanover Evangelical Friends Church, the same church where my parents were married. I also enjoy going to the local gas station and having people know me or ask how my parents are doing. I work as a bank teller at the BB&T located directly across from the very high school from which I graduated. The best thing about the bank is that I get to see friends of the family, friends with whom I went to school, and people who I know pretty closely know from the community. The bank is a perfect example of how small town communities are. For example on any given day some town local will come in and talk about the recent engagement of someone, or someone having a child, and all the people in the bank will know for the most part who they are, or someone in their family. It is really neat working for a bank like BB&T because the employees and the clients almost form an extended family. The main point I am trying to make here is that small town life is like no other culture you could ever imagine. It's not like city life where everyone is on the move from point A to point B with little regard for the other people around them. I love the feeling of my local town and the positive impact it has on my daily life.

• Intro Written Sep 25, 2006

gipper84 Lives Here!

gipper84

“"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terr”

Badges & Stats in Mechanicsville

Have you been to Mechanicsville?

Latest Activity in Mechanicsville