"More than just the caverns" Top 5 Page for this destination Luray by gipper84

Luray Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 330 photos

I went to Luray, Virginia from July 21-26, 2005 for my sister Chelsea's state softball tournament. Her team did very well, coming in second to the nearby Elkton team which had a virtual home field advantage. Between the games, my girl friend Jessi, my family, and I took care to see what Luray was all about. Of course, we visited the famous caverns. We also saw less well-known sights around town. Most downtown areas of towns this size have seen better days, but historic downtown Luray is well-preserved. The downtown is full of antique shops, unique restaurants, and there is even an old-fashioned small movie house you see less of these days. Luray has not one, but two Confederate monuments and is on track to preserve its old passenger rail station. Even if rail service does not return to Luray, it will be a nice museum. The thing that surprised me the most was all the murals around town. It was too bad my sister's softball team didn’t win and go to the nationals, but I wouldn't have missed this experience for the world.

• Last visit to Luray: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 25, 2006

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Pilfering fingers?! Yeah, right!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM

Very good info, especially restaurant and shopping tips. I see, I lost quite a lot visiting "only" the caverns and car museum. However I liked them a lot.

gipper84

“"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terr”

Badges & Stats in Luray