"The Ole Dominion" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia by gipper84

Virginia Travel Guide: 7,548 reviews and 17,998 photos

Commonwealth's Beauty

Virginia is my home and I love it. Nothing bothers me more than people from other states and countries passing through and assuming Virginia is only a series of exits and rest areas on Interstate 95 as they go back and forth between Florida and New York. I build this page to show the real beauty of Virginia off its beaten path. The small towns have their own charm and special sense of history. I am interested in architecture and that which I have seen in the smaller towns is more impressive, a lot of times, than in the bigger cities. That is why the intro photo is a collage of small town courthouses. I like to shop for antiques and it is surprising how stores in small towns offer rare finds for a low price. Virginia is a state rich in history and most towns I have been to and cover here have played at least a small role in the Revolutionary War, the War Between the States, or the Civil Rights Movement. The cities of Virginia are important, but I cover them on a stand-alone page, but this page is reserved for Virginia's little-known treasures.

• Pros:Lots of history, beautiful landscape, great restaurants, tons of attractions
  • Cons:traffic can be bad on the interstates, and watch out for city taxes
  • In a nutshell:The Best Well Kept Secret of the South
  • Intro Written Jun 14, 2006

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Fantatsic off the beaten tips, thanks a million for sharing. I am more and more convinced to come back to Virginia as I liked a lot those (a few only) small towns I was lucky to see. Now, I see I skipped a lot.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 11:28 AM

Great page exploring the unexplored places of Virginia. Looks like I should spend more time in my home state :-)

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Nice page here! Really helpful to people who haven't still been to the States like me :)) Put some more local customs tips if you can. Ciao ciao Marco.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM

nice, specially the detailed restaurant tips!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 12:23 PM

So far, "Farmville" is my favorite. Love the statue and the memorial and the small house. You're doing a topnotch job with your Virginia pages. Love your use of the extra photographs.

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 9:43 PM

Great updates, Lee. It is fun to see you teased Nat in that way...Ha..:D....Why did you call Nat as "Leroy Atkins" huh...?

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Nice updates here. You know bloody well I didn't spill as much stew as you claim. You young whippersnappers are supposed to have better eyesight than oldsters like me.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Great tips on Amelia, Lee. I'll have to stop into the 360 Truck Stop the next time I'm down that way. ~ Andy

gipper84

“"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terr”

Badges & Stats in Virginia

Have you been to Virginia?

Latest Activity in Virginia