"Celia's rambles" celia.q's Profile

Sailing in Norfolk

The photo I've put on my details is me steering with my foot because the boat we have hired on the Norfolk Broads has no engine. There was no wind so my son Dan was quanting*, I was standing on the coaming to see over the sail which was all tied up round the boom and my friend Irene was sitting taking photos of wildlife. She included me in that!

I couldn't tell you how many holidays I've had on the Norfolk Broads, many hiring companies but the best from a sailor's point of view is what is now a charitable trust, caring for and hiring out, an entire fleet of original holiday boats built in the 1930's and 40's at Ludham on Womack Water which empties into the River Thurne.

I love sailing, don't have much opportunity any more but I chose that photo because doing that is when I'm happiest.

*quanting is pushing the boat along by means of a quant pole, this is very long, has a fin on one side of the end and a huge button on the top to hold on to. You drop it in the water and as the boat drifts past it you start pushing towards the stern and walking along, giving it a twist and a pull just before you fall off the end. Then you trail it back to the shrouds which hold the mast up, drop it in and start again.

• Intro Updated Apr 22, 2007

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
celia.q's Profile Photo

celia.q

“Can't wait to get there!”

Ranked Member