"Celia's rambles" celia.q's Profile

Sailing in Norfolk

The photo I've put on my details is me steering with my foot because the boat we have hired on the Norfolk Broads has no engine. There was no wind so my son Dan was quanting*, I was standing on the coaming to see over the sail which was all tied up round the boom and my friend Irene was sitting taking photos of wildlife. She included me in that!

I couldn't tell you how many holidays I've had on the Norfolk Broads, many hiring companies but the best from a sailor's point of view is what is now a charitable trust, caring for and hiring out, an entire fleet of original holiday boats built in the 1930's and 40's at Ludham on Womack Water which empties into the River Thurne.

I love sailing, don't have much opportunity any more but I chose that photo because doing that is when I'm happiest.

*quanting is pushing the boat along by means of a quant pole, this is very long, has a fin on one side of the end and a huge button on the top to hold on to. You drop it in the water and as the boat drifts past it you start pushing towards the stern and walking along, giving it a twist and a pull just before you fall off the end. Then you trail it back to the shrouds which hold the mast up, drop it in and start again.

• Intro Updated Apr 22, 2007

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2015 at 2:32 AM

Hi Celia, I am sending a belated birthday wish on VT, as I have not been able to get on the website for some weeks. I hope you are well, and hope to see you at a London meeting soon

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2015 at 3:11 AM

Sorry I missed your birthday - I think the VT notices system may have been to blame, although it could just be me ;-) Hope it was a great one!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes Celia - I hope you celebrated your Special Birthday in Style!!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Belated birthday greetings from New Zealand!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Happy Birthday Celia!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM

happy birthday Celia - I know weve already done the FB birthday but heres one for VT - all the best for your day and another good year ahead :)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Very happy birthday to you although I see you have not been here for a while. I do hope everything is OK with you.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM

Happy Birthday Celia, have a great day! We hope to see ypou again some day. Greetings, Kathrin and the Wombat

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM

Happy birthday Celia

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Not sure if you'll log in, but in the hopes that you do, happy birthday here too ;-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
celia.q's Profile Photo

celia.q

“Can't wait to get there!”

Ranked Member