"They say never to use your real name..." ainsleigh's Profile
After eight years of following and loving VT, I finally decided to make a profile page. "Why did it take me so long?" you may ask... Well, I guess I really didn't see a connection between helping other travelers and talking about who I am as an individual. But the more I traveled, the more I loved relating to others through travel. I found that sharing travel experiences was interesting and valuable with pretty much anyone, but to really take someone's advice and integrate their ideas about travel takes a certain understanding of who that person is, where they're from, and what they're about.
I've welcomed influences of people with very similar worldviews, as well as people whose perspectives differ wildly from mine on essentially every subject when planning travel and have found richer knowledge and advice than any guidebook. Others have opened my eyes to places and interests I wouldn't have known even existed. My love of travel was planted by my great grandmother, but my love of relating to others through travel started eight years ago with VT.
I work in mental health. My travel companion is almost always my husband, and his favorite place to visit so far is Amsterdam. I speak English, French and Spanish. I love to cook recipes from around the world, especially Indian and Thai food. I'm kind of short. I've never missed voting in an election. I love poetry. I hate mayonnaise. I constantly consider being a vegetarian but I'm not one right now, I love kids. I'm an introvert. I love music, especially metal, I play lots of video games for an adult woman. I'm a dog person. I'm happiest when I'm outside hiking, snorkeling, swimming or camping. My current favorite animal is the shark. I love living in a place with four distinct seasons. I care about hockey (Go Jets Go!) My favorite place to visit so far is Istanbul. The last place I visited was Puerto Rico, and the next place I'm planning to visit is Eastern Turkey and Georgia.
I've lived in Winnipeg, Canada for most of my life but I was born just outside of Toronto. If you know anything about Canadian regional stereotypes, you would understand that people from both cities shame me over my association with the other. Winnipeg is not big or glamorous, but make no mistake that it is a real city, alive with the cultures of Aboriginal peoples and hundreds of years of immigration from around the world. My own family are relatively recent immigrants from Ukraine and the United Kingdom.
I won't lie to you- the weather here "builds character." The winters are long and cold with average temperatures of -20C, and there are only two choices from November to March; either spiral down into depression and despair, cursing those three horrible words- wind chill factor, and cope by complaining constantly to others about the weather, or keep putting on warm clothes until you feel warm enough and do the same stuff you always do. I honestly like being outside in winter as long as it's not burn-your-face-off cold: it's unique, pretty, serene and can be really fun if you know how. Yeah that's right, I kinda like Winnipeg winters...
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 125 Reviews
- 314 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Wrote a Review Fast and Familiar in Kiev Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kyiv's Metro"
- Commented on munki's profile page
- updated a Kiev Travel Page "Київ!"
- Posted in Travel Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Forum "Re: Language spoken"
- ainsleigh and zakaria11 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "They say never to use your real name..."
PhotosSee All Photos (314)
Top 10 Pages
- Bonaire Intro, 36 reviews, 121 photos
- Lviv Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos
- Kiev Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos
- Havana Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Camagüey Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Istanbul 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Ukraine Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Puerto Rico 1 review, 5 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos