"Exploring Italy" Fivizzano by kzngirl
Fivizzano Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 25 photos
Fivizzano is a small town situated in the northern most part of Tuscany. Lying between the Ligurian coast and the Apennine mountains, this is a beautiful, and mostly unexplored part of Tuscany. The town dates back to the middle ages, once a thriving centre of trade. The commercial centre of the town is dominated by the wonderful Medicean Fountain, donated by Cosimo III in 1683. The town remains untouched by the passage of time, and you can be forgiven for thinking you have stepped back into the Middle Ages as you wander down the tiny alley ways lined with cobblestones.
My mum was visiting us from South Africa and we decided to treat her to a surprise holiday - she had no idea where we were going until two days before we left when Adrian blurted out one night over dinner..."so, do we need visas to go to Italy?" Doh. The game was up, but mum was so ecstatic at the thought of a Tuscan adventure, the fact the surprise was blown a few days early was of no consequence!
We booked a self-catering apartment situated in an old watermill just outside the town of Fivizzano, in a village called Verrucola. Read all about our trip to Fivizzano and Verrcola in my travelogues.
- Pros:A gorgeous retreat - far from the madding crowd!
- Cons:Too short a stay to do the town justice.
- In a nutshell:A haven for romantics or those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of busier towns
Just behind our watermill, is a rather large, very steep hill, and at the top of it - just peeking through the tops of... more travel advice
The Castello della Verrucola is documented for the first time in 1044. It is believed to have been built on an earlier... more travel advice
kzngirl's Related Pages
Fivizzano Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Fivizzano
- 5 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Fivizzano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fivizzano
Photos in FivizzanoSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Durban Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fivizzano Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bagshot Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haworth Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ripon Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Umkomaas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos