"Ancient hunting ground of the Zulu Kings" Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve by kzngirl
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 246 photos
Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve is the oldest game reserve in Africa. It was the ancient hunting ground of the Zulu kings who protected the area by proclaiming conservation laws, long before anything formal was in existence. The park covers an estimated 96 000 hectares, and encompasses three reserves: Hluhluwe, Umfolozi - two of Africa's oldest game reserves, both founded in 1895 - and the associated Corridor Reserve, proclaimed in 1989
Hluhluwe-Umfolozi is internationally renowned for its Rhino conservation project. “Operation Rhino” during the 1950-1960’s was responsible for saving the White Rhino from the brink of extinction. The reserve is also almost entirely responsible for re-populating rhinos into many of the reserves throughout Southern Africa.
A self-drive game reserve, Hluhluwe-Umfolozi also offers wilderness trails, self-guided walks, daily game ranger walks, night and day drives.
The reserve offers a wide range of accommodation: tented safaris, rustic chalets, budget rondavels, luxury lodges and getting back to the basic: bushcamps!
I love this game reserve. I suppose it helps that it is only a two and half hour drive away from Durban, so close enough for a weekend get-away! There is something marvellous about Hluhluwe-Umfolozi…for a small moment in time, you get to suspend the hustle and bustle of city life, sit back, take a deep breath, unwind, and let Africa soothe your soul.
- Cons:Not seeing that blasted leopard in a tree!
- In a nutshell:Love it - just love it!
The head of the wildebeest is large and box-like. The body looks disproportionate - the front quite heavily built, while... more travel advice
The Kudu is a beautiful antelope. Grey in colour, they have a wonderful array of white stripes running down their body.... more travel advice
Written May 16, 2006
Written May 16, 2006
Some wonderful sights...
kzngirl's Related Pages
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE"
- "Ancient hunting ground of the Zulu Kings"
- "Game viewing, starlit nights and happiness."
- "Hluhluwe Game Reserve, South Africa 2003"
- "Our 3 night stay in Tree House Bonamanzi G.Park"
- "HLUHLUWE/ UMFOLOZI PARK"
- "The oldest Game Reserve in Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Hotels in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Transportation in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Shopping in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- 29 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hluhluwe Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Wrote a Review Blue Wildebeest in Hluhluwe Game Reserve Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nyala"
- created a Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travelogue "Some wonderful sights..."
- Posted in Travel Cape Town Forum "RE: RE: Special Restaurants near..."
- Commented on one of MikeAtSea's Hluhluwe Game Reserve travel pages
Photos in Hluhluwe Game ReserveSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Durban Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fivizzano Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bagshot Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 22 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haworth Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ripon Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Umkomaas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos