"Bogra the Business and Historical City" Bogra by BograInfo
Bogra Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
Bogra was officially established as a district during the British rule in the year 1821, but the seeds of Bogra city was sewn long before. Several localities have the name “Chowk” which was the common practice at the time of the Mughal rule implying that settlement in and around Bogra City started during the time of the Mughals. In Bogra Sadr there are 45 Tamples, 2 Churches and 629 Mosques, built over the long past. The Mosque are indicating the long standing Islamic tradition with this place.
1. Some of the places of historic importance are “Chalo” from the days of Pir Fateh Ali, who came to Bogra in the year 1765 AD.
2. The Fateh Ali Bazar of Bogra Sadar named after Pir Fateh Ali.
3. The “Nawab Bari”: located on the western side of river “Korotoa” was originally a Banglow of the “Nilkuthiwalas”, which was bought by the Nawabs and turned into a palace.
4. Shajapur, situated only four miles south of the suburb of Bogra, is the ancient city of “Shahjahanpur”. Mughal emperor Shahjahan’s second son Shuja was the subedar (ruler) of Bengal in the year 1660, who used to reside in Rajmahal. He had a palace in Sherpur also. This was also another seat of his administration. Remnants of the arts and crafts are still seen in the Mahasthan museum.
Many princes, generals, and high ranking officers were posted in this city. Bricks, morters, Garhs, tanks (ponds) reveal that this was a city in the olden times. On the eastern side of the road, one can see 20-25 Garhs locally called “Boro Dhap”, which is the remnants of a palace. There was a bridge at the entrance to the city called “Fotoker Bridge”. Most probably the “Khal” under the “Folki Bridge” was built at that time. There are several large tanks (ponds) Called Pukur or Dighi in this ancient city.
5. Arulia is an ancient city, which lies three miles west of the suburb of Bogra. Historic sites include a Dhipi or Dhap and a large tank.
6. Aria Bazar is an ancient and historic place. It is derived from “Ario” meaning enemy. The soldiers from the Mughal-Pathan conflict were imprisoned and exiled here who were called “Oris”. The present word Aria originated from this.
7. Shujabad is situated north of Shajapur. Built after the name of Shah Shuja, the son of emperor Shahjahan.
Author: Mir Monaz Haque, from Bogra presently located in Germany. mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pros:Very good Food specially Fish, Potatoes and Yoghurt. One has to try special Yoghurt of Bogra. The peoples are very friendly
- Cons:Streets are narrow and less Taxis available. Rickshaw is the main transportation vehicle
- In a nutshell:Bogra is very interesting city. Mahasthan, the oldest archaeological site of Bangladesh is on the western bank of river Karatoa 18 km. north of Bogra town beside Bogra-Rangpur Road. The spectacular site is an imposing landmark.
- No VT rank yet.
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Bogra
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Bogra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogra
No friends yet.