"Oh, so this is Montenegro..." Top 5 Page for this destination Podgorica by mikey_e

Podgorica Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 103 photos

Not too impressed

I'll admit it, I had an image of Montenegro from the Daniel Craig James Bond movie - despite what a friend from Nis told me about the movie being filmed in Switzerland. Still, I thought that Podgorica might have some interesting sights, or some neat new government buildings or, frankly, anything that might validate the 8 hours on a small bus it took to get here from Sarajevo. Alas, it was not quite the case. Instead, I found a small city that looked more like a suburb of Tampa than the capital of a European country. It did not take me long to make the decision to spend a night on the bus from Podgorica to Pristina rather than in a hotel here, and I don't regret my decision. Don't get me wrong - I know that this is not the image that Montenegro likes to present to the world (beaches are its speciality) - but I won't hide the fact that Podgorica did not seem like a "major city" at all.

Still, some fun to be had

Of course, if your one criteria for enjoy a place is that it be Paris or London, you're never going to be satisfied if you go somewhere other than Paris or London. There were some fun things in Podgorica, chief among them being the cafeteria at the bus station. Talk about a timewarp to the 1970s. This was a pure Socialist-era institution, complete with cauldrons from which greasy goulash was served, a bucket of bread and the surliest servers I have ever met, even in the Balkans. It was like a trip through memory lane, if my life had been a composite of various Russian movies about Moscow in the 1980s. There are also some pretty gardens in Podgorica, much more like woods than the traditional sculpted gardens of other cities. Nevertheless, exciting attractions were few and far between in this city, and I can only imagine that Cetinje or the coast have far more to merit the tourist buzz that Montenegro generates among those looking for cheap and interesting destinations.

Check out the countryside

It's awful to end on a sour note, so I will finish off this main page with the one thing about Montenegro that blew me away. The scenery in the countryside, particularly in the mountainous region near Bosnia, is absolutely spectacular. The route in from Sarajevo follows the Piva Gorge - an winding and long crevice carved out of the rock with a lake so blue it makes the neon lights of a Chinese restaurant seem faded. Never before have I seen water of that colour. My only regret is that the bus never stopped along the gorge (probably because there was nowhere to stop) and I wasn't able to get any pictures.

• Last visit to Podgorica: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2008

• Jan 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I agree. Podgorica is not the most charming place in the world, but if you have to fly in there to get to other parts of Montenegro you shouldn't have too much trouble finding stuff to do and things to see for an afternoon or even a day (the Orthodox Cathedral, Sahat kula, and the Millennium Bridge come to mind—even the town museum isn't all that bad, if a little small). If nothing else, you can stroll around the Nova varos (where Trg Republike is located) and hang out at a cafe (Karver's is pretty cool and it's just around the corner from the town museum on Marka Miljanova). If you're stuck in Podgorica and need a list of things to do, here's a guide to get you started: nextmontenegro.com/guide-to-...

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Fabulous little page about Podgorica. In August we spent one night here before we explored Montenegro for two weeks. Podgorica is indeed not as exciting as the rest of the country.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Yours it the first page of Podgorica I look at which actually tells me something useful ;) Thanks for the introduction.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM

yes tourists love montenegro only because of its beaches

mikey_e

“Soy una llamita, quisiera ser hoguera”

Badges & Stats in Podgorica

Have you been to Podgorica?

Latest Activity in Podgorica