"Orthodox Splendour in otherwise dull surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandroupolis by mikey_e
Alexandroupolis Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 94 photos
If you look up Alexandroupoli in a guide book, the write-up will likely focus on two qualities that define modern Alexandroupoli: (1) it is the last major Greek town before the Turkish border; and (2) it is a port from which you can catch ferries to Athens or various eastern island groups. There is not much to do in the modern city, which makes the Museum of Eccelsiastic Art even more baffling, as it is a beacon of beauty and culture in an otherwise lacklustre tourist town. I have to admit that I was rather dissapointed by my decision to come here when I first got off the train, but the Museum made it all worthwhile and, after having roamed its steamy halls, I could forgive the rather annoying fact that the rest of the town was choked full of eateries charging 6 euro for a gyro and a few hucksters trying to squeeze euros out of foreign tourists before they head on to Turkey or the islands.
There is a small Armenian minority in Greece (particularly the North) and their churches provide an interesting contrast... more travel advice
mikey_e's Related Pages
Alexandroupolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alexandroupolis in the summer"
- "My small but beautiful home town"
- "Alexandroupolis / Western Thrace"
- "Orthodox Splendour in otherwise dull surroundings"
- "GeorgiosX's new Alexandroupolis Page"
- "yakacik's new Alexandroupolis Page"
- "Selini's new Alexandroupolis Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alexandroupolis
- Hotels in Alexandroupolis
- Transportation in Alexandroupolis
- Nightlife in Alexandroupolis
- Restaurants in Alexandroupolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alexandroupolis
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Alexandroupolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandroupolis
Photos in AlexandroupolisSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 390 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 60 reviews, 235 photos
- Toronto Intro, 88 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 55 reviews, 213 photos
- Quito Intro, 54 reviews, 199 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 63 reviews, 173 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 51 reviews, 175 photos
- Budapest Intro, 47 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Island Intro, 40 reviews, 169 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 39 reviews, 160 photos