"City of the Ancients, Mother of Reason" Athens by mikey_e

Athens Travel Guide: 4,297 reviews and 10,166 photos

A City That Grows on You

When I first arrived in Athens, I was staying in Omonoia and had the distinct feeling that the sooner I got out of the city, the better. Omonoia is dirty and not entirely safe and the masses of backpackers did not bode well for finding out what Athens is really like. Nevertheless, the city's ancient heritage impressed me greatly and, by the end of my trip, I was truly sad to leave. That may have been because I moved from Omonoia to Thiseio, but it was also the wonderful impression left on me by the vibrant culture of the city, the warm and friendly attitude of the Athenians and the incredible synthesis of modern and ancient.

A Grand City

It is hard to imagine a city that has been a metropolis as long as Athens. It is true that the Greek capital is not as large or perhaps as important as other cities in Europe, but Greece has long been at the meeting point of civilizations (and not infrequently the centre of them too) and central Athens can feel like a place where East and West battle for prominance. Nowhere is this more evident than in Kolonaki, where the Egyptian Embassy, Greek government buildings and European embassies all jockey for prominence with the many museums.

Athenian Delight

Part of the charm of Athens is the Athenians themselves. Apart from the continued consciousness that they represent the continuation of four millenia of cultural, artistic, scientific and political achievements, the Athenians are a vibrant and friendly people who reward any attempt at getting to know modern Greek culture with lots of attention. Modern Athens provides the visitor with no end of ways to get to know its people. Thos interested in student and youth culture should head to Exarchia, where young people abound and you can easily get lost among the cafés, student hangouts, university clubs and buildings.

• Last visit to Athens: Jun 2007
  • Intro Written Jul 4, 2007

• eugini2001's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

very nice picture of the Mitropoli church and comments about Orhodox clergy too!!!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM

great tips about the museums. wise choice of u change the hotel to a better area...

• Jul 4, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Hello Mikey_e! I love your Athens page. My son and I are contemplating of going there this September and your Athens tips will help us a lot. Thanks!.....bell

mikey_e

“Soy una llamita, quisiera ser hoguera”

Badges & Stats in Athens