"The Last Output before France" Aosta by mikey_e
Aosta Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 125 photos
I wanted to go to Aosta because I thought that it would be a place centred on its unique placement in European culture: a French outpost inside Italy where the actual local language was a form of Franco-Provençal. I was rather deluded. Aosta is now a major town in the ski-resort mecca of the western Alps. The streets were crowded with tourists here to see the spectacular mountain scenery and the deserted ski trails. Unlike Urtijëi/Ortisei, there were no bookshops or cultural associations advertising their specialities in the language of the people and the minority culture. Instead, there seemed to only be row after row of cheap trinkets and postcards. Neveretheless, you'd have to be stonehearted not to be moved by the high mountains, the quaint popular houses and the impressive neo-Classical architecture of the official buildings.
Of course, my memory is a bit clouded by a friend I met while living in Barcelona, Alex, who was a great swimmer and a student from Aosta (who had studied in Torino). Still, what remains in my minds eye is the spectacular majesty of the Alps against the backdrop of a picturesque Alpine village.
mikey_e's Related Pages
Aosta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is it REALLY Italian...?"
- "Aosta - a model of ancient city planning"
- "under construction"
- "Valle d'Aosta"
- "Aosta, Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aosta
- Hotels in Aosta
- Restaurants in Aosta
- Shopping in Aosta
- Warnings and Dangers in Aosta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aosta
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Aosta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aosta
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 390 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 60 reviews, 235 photos
- Toronto Intro, 88 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 55 reviews, 213 photos
- Quito Intro, 54 reviews, 199 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 63 reviews, 173 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 51 reviews, 175 photos
- Budapest Intro, 47 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Island Intro, 40 reviews, 169 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 39 reviews, 160 photos