"Stumbling on a Beautiful Secret" Benevento by mikey_e
Benevento Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos
Benevento suffers from two different curses. First, it is in southern Italy, a part of the Italian peninsula that is shamefully ignored by many tourists who concentrate on the big three: Rome, Florence and Venice. Second, Benevento is inland, far from the coast and not really on the route between major cities or destinations (although it is relatively close to Naples). All together, this means that most of the people who comes to visit Benevento are Italian tourists, which provides the "off-the-beaten-track" foreign tourist with a very different feel. Benevento comes from the Roman name for the city, Beneventum, good wind, and it certainly was a lucky wind that blew me here on my aimless wanderings through south-central Italy.
One of the greatest parts of benevento is the fact that almost all of its historic sites lie on or just off of Corso Garibaldi, the long street that cuts across the historic centre. When I visited in 2005, much of Corso Garibaldi was under restauration or reconstruction, which leads me to believe that it must be even more enjoyable today to walk through along the street that collects the millenia of history associate with this town. Benevento has something to appease most fans of history. Although the town was founded by the Romans, it contains clear influences from Egyptian and Greek sources. The Longobards made their mark on the town, and the presence of Papal guards and frequent visits by various Popes all helped to reinforce the cultural and artistic heritage of what is now a forgotten attraction.
The Arco di Traiano of Benevento is one of the best preserved and most ornate of all the Trajan archs in Italy. It was... more travel advice
mikey_e's Related Pages
Benevento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Between Longobardi, Romans and Egyptians"
- "Stumbling on a Beautiful Secret"
- "I've Benevento Here!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Benevento
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Benevento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benevento
Photos in BeneventoSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 390 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 60 reviews, 235 photos
- Toronto Intro, 88 reviews, 184 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 55 reviews, 213 photos
- Quito Intro, 54 reviews, 199 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 63 reviews, 173 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 51 reviews, 175 photos
- Budapest Intro, 47 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Island Intro, 40 reviews, 169 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 39 reviews, 160 photos