"A Divided City No Longer" Gorizia by mikey_e

Gorizia Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 109 photos

Pit-stop on route

I came to Gorizia on my way to Slovenia as a sort of back-up plan. I won't say second-best option, since the train from Venice to Ljubljana was, I think three hours and I literally ran after the departing train on platform of Mestre station. Instead, my roundabout journey through Gorizia and Nova Gorica to Ljubljana ended up taking something like 7 hours, so I wasn't all that pleased to see Gorizia and the route was more likely around the 8th best option. Had I not left my driver's license in Canada, I probably would have just rented a car. Nevertheless, I was in Gorizia and decided that I should make the best of my time by walking through the city to Slovene border, which cuts in the middle of the town square. This was once a heavily guarded edge of the Iron Curtain, but with Slovenia's entrance into the EU two years earlier it was nothing more than a tribute to the once divided continent.

Not so easy...

Gorizia didn't leave the best impression in my mind, but that was largely my fault. I stupidly decided that I need only follow street signs and ask people directions in order to get to the centre of town and the Piazza through which it is possible to cross into Slovenia. Perhaps I was impatient, or just completely idiotic, but I turned off the main road and asked drivers the way to the Slovene border. What followed was a harrowing trek along the backstreets of Gorizia as I avoided the highway but essentially followed its course to the vehicular checkpoint for entry into Slovenia. In retrospect, its likely better that I went this way, as I would have had problems trying to exit Slovenia with no entry stamp, but I was sweaty, hungry and rather annoyed when, after 40 minutes of walking I ended up lining up with cars to be checked and snickered at by the border guards.

It all works out in the end

Clearly, given all my pictures for Ljubljana and Zagreb, I made it past the border checkpoint and over the various hurdles to get to the last bus from Nova Gorica (the eastern suburbs of Gorizia hacked off in 1947 to form part of Yugoslavia) to Ljubljana. Apart from the first bleak prospects of eating at a gas station in Slovenia, the walk was rather pleasant, particularly in the late spring breeze, and I was joined by more than a few cyclists who were evidently enjoying the new found freedom to wander brought by EU accession. Friuli has got to be one of the most verdant and lush parts of Italy, and, thanks to my headstrong ways, I was able to experience the natural beauty of this forgotten corner of Italy firsthand.

• Last visit to Gorizia: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Sep 3, 2007

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Hello there! I completely agree with Mikebond. Gorizia is a pretty city. You should give her a second chance some time later!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Hi! It's a true pity you weren't in a good mood when you visited Gorizia, because it's a lovely city, I really enjoyed it. By the way, travelling via Gorizia will be one of the best ways to go to Ljubljana soon (no more direct trains...).

mikey_e

“Soy una llamita, quisiera ser hoguera”

Badges & Stats in Gorizia

Have you been to Gorizia?

Latest Activity in Gorizia