"Ottawa ... politics and exuberance?" Ottawa by luke82

Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,815 reviews and 4,497 photos

... beauty, but at what price...

Let's get this out first; Ottawa is a great place to live. I can not imagine raising a family anywhere else. But am I happy here? No.

This city has a lot to offer to everyone. From good dining, natural beauty, hospitality, charm to great sports entertainment, pub life, and museums. Ottawa is a great city. However if you come here to find history, culture, good nightlife, or even a zoo, you will be disappointed. But should you visit? DEFINITELY.

... my second home ...

I have lived in Ottawa for the majority of my life, and I believe that right now the city has given me everything it has to offer (well except a Senators Stanley Cup, but that is coming this June!! :P ). Why am I being so negative? Well it's because I need a change! That should not misguide you to skip over this great city!

I will focus on the tips that were not really mentioned by others, and I will try to have the most recent nightlife information, as the clubs and bars here tend to turnover very quickly. Enjoy :)

... true government city ...

Ottawa is the capital of Canada and with that comes the burden of housing all of the Canadian government ideals ... both physically and metaphorically.

The new Conservative Canadian government (not much change yet from the long tenure of the Liberals) is just that ... conservative. This reflects on the city. The rigid liquor laws, unrealistic city by-laws, and general mood of the city create a dull mood.

However the city does have something to offer. Like for instance the worlds longest skating rink. In the winter the Rideau Canal is transformed into an eight km or so sheet of ice, were if conditions are perfect one can skate from downtown all the way to the Hogs Back locks.

• Pros:clean, safe, natural beauty, small yet big :)
  • Cons:sub par nightlife, boring, government city
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2006

• Nov 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Ottawa is at least as good as most cities I've been to. Take visitors out in the market, Crescent St. or Queen W just have better reputations, not better times. I've been to your city with Europeans and Australians and it's now one of their favorites.

• janika's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 7:16 PM

You are right, Ottawa is not for the party animal, but it's safe and relatively clean, Neat write-up!

• tonupboy's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Yes,it's boring here... Great page!

luke82 Lives Here!

luke82

“travelling is the only investment with guaranteed returns- f.w.”

Badges & Stats in Ottawa