Montreal Transportation Tips by Tom_In_Madison
Montreal Transportation: 241 reviews and 217 photos
The weekly metrpo pass, mine ran from May 8 - 14.
Nice fairly inexpensive, clean metro service.
There are 4 lines criss-crossing each other. Transferring from one to another is incredibly easy and quick, and you never have to walk far like you do in some Paris or London transfer spots.
The weekly pass only starts on a Monday and runs until the end of Sunday night. So if you get here on a thursday, you’re screwed. This is the only thing I don’t like about it, not sure why this is. They could make this change easily and it would probably save money too because the tickets wouldn't have the date on them.
Single tickets are C$2.75 or you can get 6 tickets for C$11. I think the weekly pass was about C$18.
The doors you have to open can sometimes be unbelievably heavy to open. Add in a little wind and you really got to push or pull to get thru these things. I’m fairly strong, but man, sometimes I had to lean into these door with all my might to budge them. Be careful trying to get in, may not look as easy as it seems. Maybe this is because of the cold winters, they want them to be harder to open?? Of course, sometimes the doors are held open for you, especially at the entrance and exit of Berri-UQAM train station by guys holding empty tip cups.
Berri-UQAM Metro stop connects to the Berri-UQAM bus station by an escalator. You may get into Montreal by the bus and it will stop here-convenient.
If you have the pass, just hold it in your right hand with the face facing you, and slid it thru the reader, then push the turnstile.
If you have a single ticket, jut deposit it in the little box next to the worker in the booth.
If you’re alone, cheapest way to get into Montreal downtown is by taking the Aerobus.
You arrive at the airport, and you’re out pretty fast. You’ll probably walk right by an info desk, with numbers of all the hotels and about 3 people dispensing tourist info. As you go past that and out the door, look to your left, that is where you will buy your ticket.
Get your ticket to the booth about 15 feet to the left of the exit you just left. There’s a booth and you buy your ticket or r/t ticket right there. Unfortunatley when I arrived there was only one person working there and the line was long. It took longer to get my ticket that it did to land, get my bags, go thru customs, go thru immigration, go to the loo, and out the airport door. Can’t they have 2 people selling tickets???
Anyway, when you get your ticket, turn to the left and walk across one lane of traffic to the island and the bus/bus stop will be there. Walk on, stash your bags, give the driver your ticket and relax.
It will go into Montreal, then stops at 3 upscale hotels along the way, then it stops at the final destination-Berri-UQAM bus station. Took me about 35 minutes to get here. Took me 20 minutes to go in the opposite direction to the airport. When you get here, just find the escalator and go down, and turn right and you’re in the middle of Berri-UQAM metro Stop. Buy your Metro tix if you need them now.
Busses run every 20-25 minutes. Fast, cheap, safe. If you’re with another person, might be better to take a cab. If you’re with 2 people probably take a cab.
C$23 for a r/t ticket.
Phone: 514 842-2281
More Reviews (21)
Tom_In_Madison's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bushnell Basin Hotels
- Tacloban City Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- North America
- Riva del Garda
- Birch Bay Hotels
- Playa de Ponce Hotels
- Mestre Transportation
- Pulau Langkawi Transportation
- San Juan Transportation
- Santa Margherita Ligure Transportation
- Padova Transportation
- Yogyakarta Transportation
- Saudi Arabia Transportation
- Airport - Transportation to Copenhagen Center
- Rovinj Transportation
- Monterosso al Mare Transportation
- Targu-Mures Transportation
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 23 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
- Posted in Travel Puerto Viejo Forum "Re: Is there a bus that runs from..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Montreal travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Montreal Museum of Fine Arts"
- Wrote a Review Bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!! in Montreal Things to Do
- updated a Montreal Travel Page "Not Paris, Not NYC, Not Toronto - just Montreal"
Photos in MontrealSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madison Intro, 58 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- San José Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 9 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Montreal hotel reviews
- Le Square Phillips Hotel
- 947 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Le Westin Montreal
- 756 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel Villa de France
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Homewood Suites Mont Tremblant
- 303 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Viger Montreal
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- La Maison Brunet
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2013
- Chateau Vaudreuil
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- The Ritz-Carlton Montreal
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel Visitel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Motel Le Chablis - Le Saint-Jacques
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- Delta Centreville
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Le St. James Hotel Montreal
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Lord Berri Hotel
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Les Studios Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2013
- Hotel de la Montagne
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Old Montreal- 158 Reviews, 263 Photos
- Mont-Royal- 81 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Basilica Notre Dame- 94 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Downtown- 39 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Biodôme- 45 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Chinatown- 22 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Botanical Garden - Insectarium- 56 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Olympic Village- 48 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Museum of Fine Arts- 17 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Oratory- 24 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Montreal Things to Do