"UFO Capitol of the world" Belleville by Tom_In_Madison
Belleville Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
Belleville is about a 15 drive minute south of Madison. Small town, with a river running thru it of course. Not much history until 1987 when a ufo was spotted by Police officers. Since then they have celebrated the event with a day long kid-friendly celebration on the saturday closest to Halloween.
It all started January 16th 1987 when police officer Glen Kazmar reported seeing a cluster of lights in the sky. After seeing the lights he met Jeff Furseth, his partner at that time and they drove to a bluff southwest of town. This is where they saw what is believed to be a U.F.O. The two men didn't know what to think when they saw the flashing red, blue and white lights arranged horizontally suspended about 1000 feet in the air approximately two miles south of the bluff.
The lights were much like the lights you would see on an aircraft of that time but there was no sound and it remained suspended in the air for a extended period of time. Not long after the officers arrived a Sheriff's Deputy from Green County arrived on the scene. Eventually these lights moved to the southwest accelerating faster and faster until they were quickly out of site. This was the first report of an Unidentified Flying Object in the Belleville area but it was certainly not the last. On March 6th several citizens of Belleville described cigar-shaped objects in the late afternoon sky. The objects were reported to have a pop can shape or tank-like objects close by or directly underneath.
According to the reports, some of the objects departed in, or were obscured by a cloud of vapor. There were more than a dozen reports of U.F.O. activity from Belleville and New Glarus residents from January to April.
These reports prompted an investigation by a Chicago-based Center for U.F.O. studies. Donald Schmitt, a Milwaukee Investigator ruled out any possibility of manmade or natural known objects and believed the Belleville reports were legitimate U.F.O. sightings. Their existence went up in smoke, when Harvey Funseth's pictures did not show what the two men saw that night. We will never know exactly what the residents saw over those few months in 1987, the objects were unidentifiable making Belleville the U.F.O. Capitol of the World.
- Pros:Close to Madison, nice parade.
- Cons:The aliens may be back.
- In a nutshell:Take the kids to UFO Days last sat in October.
Tom_In_Madison's Related Pages
Belleville Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Belleville
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Belleville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belleville
Photos in BellevilleSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madison Intro, 58 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- San José Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 9 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues