"Green Mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde by Tom_In_Madison
Monteverde Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 402 photos
A small tourist boomtown. Lots of hotels, restaurants, bars and 4x4’s. You come here for the Cloud Forest or the zip-lines. The Cloud Forest is a half day to a full day. You can see birds, monkeys, sloths, and plants that you’ll never see back home. It’s full of things, but a guide will be your best bet—their eyes are trained for this, yours aren’t. Ours spotted the resplendent Quetzal—a male and female one.
There are many activites to do. You can set them up in advance, or just show up at your hotel and the manager can do it for you. They don’t mind, and probably get a small stipend for doing so. Rafting, zip-lining/canopy tours, coffe tours, and a frog museum and Insectarium among other things.
City was inhabited by Quakers from the US back in the 1950’s. They wanted something to make and bring to market, and cheese was chosen because of the shelf life. They’re still here, and give tours of their cheese factory. Good cheese.
Monteverde is on the east side of the main street, and Santa Elena is about 4 km away on the west side of the street. The street that connects them is about 90% of either hotels or restaurants. Monteverde has the rainforest, SE has the downtown and grocery store.
This is next to the Rainforest. There are always about 20 hummingbirds buzzing around. There is also a cafe here for a... more travel advice
I strongly suggest getting a guide for the Cloud Forest. They have to go to college to become one, 2-3 years of... more travel advice
Tom_In_Madison's Related Pages
Monteverde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cloud Forests of Monteverde and Santa Elena"
- "Cloud Forest"
- "Green Mountain"
- "Rainforest in the clouds = Cloud forest"
- "Monteverde, beautiful cloudforest..."
- "Monteverde - the mysterious cloud forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monteverde
- Hotels in Monteverde
- Transportation in Monteverde
- Nightlife in Monteverde
- Restaurants in Monteverde
- Shopping in Monteverde
- Warnings and Dangers in Monteverde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monteverde
- 13 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Monteverde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monteverde
Photos in MonteverdeSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madison Intro, 58 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milwaukee Intro, 9 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- San José Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 4 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Monteverde hotel reviews
- Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines
- 265 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Monteverde Lodge
- 327 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel El Establo
- 443 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel
- 383 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Fonda Vela
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel De Montana Monteverde
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013